Thread: Exposed Neg Storage

Exposed Neg Storage

hello all,

I began a thread stressing my need for appropriate storage for exposed negatives,

to cut a long explanation short:

Location shoot over a period of a week,

Limited amount of Filmholders/Darkslides

No time for processing in Country of location, must fly with exposed negatives.

So,

someone had mentioned some sort of small PELI brand Case that is supposedly a humidor and fits 100 4x5 Neg sheets??

I can't seem to find this amazing contraption on the PELI website..

Does anyone know if there exists such a storage device?

and if I am signing a death wish trying to transport my exposed negs on a plane over many seas?

regards

Re: Exposed Neg Storage

Most people simply put the exposed film into an empty film box....like the one the film came in.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Most people simply put the exposed film into an empty film box....like the one the film came in.
    +1

Mark a box for plus one, minus one, etc etc.
    Then plead and lie to security so they don't xray your film, go early and ask for a hand inspection. Tell them you are a pro etc etc and the film is priceless blah blah. Most are reasonable, in Spain they called the soldier over who leaned on me with his little machine gun and told me..one word and you are under arrest...he then threw my bag of film in the x ray and I lost four rolls of film on that trip!
    I thin most security guards today won't get what 4x5 film is at all!
    So bring along a dead sheet of film to walk them through it if need be.

Or Fedex the film back to yourself, I am told they do not x-ray the FedEx cargo boxes.

thats weird. i put my film through the xray every time i fly. i have never had any problems. last time i had a ziplock with 100 rolls of exposed 120 - not one mark on the film. i had heard the machines were so low dose these days that a few times through would not hurt anything. maybe i have just been lucky. i asked for a hand inspection - once. they ran a cloth over every, and i mean, every roll of my film. every roll came out, seperated, and swiped. looking for residue. took forever. then they took apart all my cameras. ever since then, i just run whatever i have through the machines.

I second the film-box method. It works for me. I carry three boxes; N, N-1, and N+1. (You may want to carry more and unload holders completely before flying.) I seal the boxes with tape, put them in plastic bags or cases and carry them in my hand luggage (do not put unexposed or undeveloped film in your checked luggage ever). I simply put them through the normal hand-luggage scanners. There is no danger unless very fast film scanned is a number of times. I travel regularly back and forth to Europe and fly through a number of US and European airports. I have never had film damaged by the hand-luggage scanners. I shoot B&W and 400 ISO film is my fastest.

That said, if I were in third-world countries with less-than-standard equipment, I might be tempted to find a way to divide the bunch and send half of it back by Fed-Ex or the like. I'm sure you'll get some other ideas here.

In the US, you can request a visual inspection, but this usually only works for factory-sealed boxes of film. Boxes that have been opened could contain anything, so the security people will likely want to scan them (or open them!!!). In Europe, there is little or no chance of a visual inspection. You will have to put everything through the scanner.

However, if you are flying through modern airports with the latest security devices, putting film through the hand-luggage scanners is safe for a number of exposures.

Best,

Doremus Scudder