Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper negative process help

Paper negative process help

OK,
    I'm trying to shoot some old Kodabrome II RC paper as a paper negative. Do I know what I'm doing? No, I usually shoot wetplate, and haven't really done film developing since a college class 20 years ago.

I just did 2 sheets, and made 5 exposures by pulling the darkslide incrementally. 5 sec per strip. When I developed in Illford S, the paper remains white. When I developed a strip of scrap paper that had laid on the table under white light, it too develops nothing...it's white after 4-5 minutes.

What do I not understand?

thanks, trying to get into film slowly....after wetplate.

Garrett

Re: Paper negative process help

I wouldn't think that RC could be used for this process. I remember in the days of making paper negatives under and enlarger that fiber-based paper was essential.

It sounds to me like your developer for some reason is just not working. The paper left out in white light should go to complete black, if it did not, it is not being developed, even old paper will develop to black if exposed to white light for a reasonable length of time. For the purposes of your testing, I don't think RC paper would be an issue. It should generate a negative image if exposed enough in the camera, and the scrap should develop to black if exposed to white light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
    I wouldn't think that RC could be used for this process. I remember in the days of making paper negatives under and enlarger that fiber-based paper was essential.

If the OP is going to scan his paper negative, it won't matter RC or Fiber. If the OP is going to contact his negative, the main thing is that the paper has no printing on the back or a visible watermark that could print thru.

Ok, I'm back and ready to try again. I just took 2 strips of the paper outside in the blazing Arizona sun for 30 seconds, and put one in the Ilford and one in the ferrous sulfate. After a couple minutes, nothing. Perhaps a tiny bit of purple to the paper, but it's basically white.

Grasping at straws here because I have a bushel of old Ilford paper that I plan to do the same with...

Fresh Dektol?????????????
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post

Fresh Dektol?????????????
    That's my best guess...
    RC shouldn't make a difference from my experiences

Just as a side note, if you are interested in making paper negatives, you might also consider making X-ray film negatives. The film is blue sensitive just like wet-plate, and it is cheaper than photo paper at about 27 cents per 8x10 sheet in a box of 100 sheets. You can develop it in all common film developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Just as a side note, if you are interested in making paper negatives, you might also consider making X-ray film negatives. The film is blue sensitive just like wet-plate, and it is cheaper than photo paper at about 27 cents per 8x10 sheet in a box of 100 sheets. You can develop it in all common film developers.
    Hummm - sounds interesting. A few questions - Where do you buy it? What EI do you use? How do you develop yours? Seems like it would be a mite contrasty but might work well with a process that requires a negative with some attitude.

Dan
    Dan Williams
    Enumclaw WA

Dan, there is a thread going currently about x ray film in the darkroom section

also there have been a few other threads about it, just run a search...umm here's one:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ght=x-ray+film

If you're interested in paper negatives you may also be interested in paper <i>positives</i>

there's a good thread on it here:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=efke+positive

I work both with dry plate and the efke positive paper, really interesting stuff