Page 443 of 655 FirstFirst ... 343393433441442443444445453493543 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,430 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

It is elegant! I wish I could do something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    11x14 Kodak X-Ray CSG 2 sided not stripped Rodinal 1/50 tray 4 minutes, Imagon 360 f7'7 holes open crop to 8x10 from scan on V700 cleaned up in PS

Second shot different from the one in Sept Portraits.

Discussion welcome

erin 2 XRay2x11x14crop by moe.randy, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    11x14 Kodak X-Ray CSG 2 sided not stripped Rodinal 1/50 tray 4 minutes, Imagon 360 f7'7 holes open crop to 8x10 from scan on V700 cleaned up in PS

Second shot different from the one in Sept Portraits.

Discussion welcome

erin 2 XRay2x11x14crop by moe.randy, on Flickr
    Outstanding, Randy! BTW my wife, who is a Black South African, told me to have you tell her how beautiful she is and that she loves her hair.

Awesome portrait, Randy

Thanks everyone!
    Tin Can

MXR Blue xray film iso 50
    B&J 5x7 Tailboard camera Wollensak 7 1/4
    4 sec @ f16
    dev Rodinal 1:100/9 min rotary
    contact printed on Agfa MCP 310

Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Very nice work, Randy.

So after getting the approximate size of normal negatives from you guys, and buying a Dahle guillotine myself, my negatives are a bit better in shape. Still regularly off enough that it causes issues for the 2509n reel. Any tips for the actual procedure of cutting?

Specifically I keep having these little two to three millimeter slivers of extra stuff that need to get sliced off, and the Dahle chokes on little cuts like that. Mangles the negatives and creates irregular shape. Doesn't happen on every single one.

Even the ones that look and fit as it they were the right shape are without proper exposure borders when I develop them.

I've also been stacking up developed negatives. Looked at the prices to scan at the best of the two or three local labs here, and at 4$ per low-resolution scan, I might as well buy a dang scanner. Not really in my budget but there are no obvious alternatives. Funny because I've been keeping the most detailed photo-journal in my life, and I can't evaluate the results for cross comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by senderoaburrido View Post
    So after getting the approximate size of normal negatives from you guys, and buying a Dahle guillotine myself, my negatives are a bit better in shape. Still regularly off enough that it causes issues for the 2509n reel. Any tips for the actual procedure of cutting?

Specifically I keep having these little two to three millimeter slivers of extra stuff that need to get sliced off, and the Dahle chokes on little cuts like that. Mangles the negatives and creates irregular shape. Doesn't happen on every single one.

Even the ones that look and fit as it they were the right shape are without proper exposure borders when I develop them.

I've also been stacking up developed negatives. Looked at the prices to scan at the best of the two or three local labs here, and at 4$ per low-resolution scan, I might as well buy a dang scanner. Not really in my budget but there are no obvious alternatives. Funny because I've been keeping the most detailed photo-journal in my life, and I can't evaluate the results for cross comparison.
    I'm not sure what's causing your problems with the cutter. There will always be a small 'waste' cut-off, due to the difference between nominal and actual dimensions for 4×5, but my Dahle cutter handles that with aplomb. Did you mark the cutter with e.g., Dyno tape, so you can accurately set the guide with reliable repeatability? Are you trying to cut more than 1 or 2 sheets at a time?

As to the scanner, I just bought a scanner after having paid for the cost of an Epson v850 in $5 + tax chunks, that being the price of a 2400 dpi scan with dust removal & output to TIFF at my local lab. So I feel your pain.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Very nice work, Randy.
    You are kind Andrew and I am nearly impossible to satisfy.

IMHO it barely qualifies to post. But I am loosening up about that and I know I can improve if as I keep at it. I throw out or give away a lot of developed X-Ray film, fortunately I know an artist that wants scraps. She did a cool installation with 100's of MF slides. An out of reach room divider above a wall. All found slides. Back lit it works and has lasted 5 years now in a movie studio.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by seezee View Post
    I'm not sure what's causing your problems with the cutter. There will always be a small 'waste' cut-off, due to the difference between nominal and actual dimensions for 4×5, but my Dahle cutter handles that with aplomb. Did you mark the cutter with e.g., Dyno tape, so you can accurately set the guide with reliable repeatability? Are you trying to cut more than 1 or 2 sheets at a time?

As to the scanner, I just bought a scanner after having paid for the cost of an Epson v850 in $5 + tax chunks, that being the price of a 2400 dpi scan with dust removal & output to TIFF at my local lab. So I feel your pain.

These local guys don't even remove the dust. The 4$ is for a low resolution scan.

How exactly are you cutting? Please, could you explain your process?

This is what's happening to me:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diagram.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	155729
    I end up with that 2/16' lip at the edge, and it's just too slight for the Dahle Vantage guillotine blade to snip. I've tried pushing the blade slow and pushing it fast. Either way, it refuses to cut the paper and simply bends it instead.