Page 366 of 655 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368376416466 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,660 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Hello all. Started doing xray myself. Got this photo. And my question is: underexposed or underdeveloped (a little bit)?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20530430771_91e834288c_b.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	138300

Welcome to the forum (I am new myself and also shooting x-ray film).

Even though I understand your question to be a difficult one to answer, some competent people here may be more in a position to help you if you would define following parameters :

How did you read the light ?, what reading did you get ? what setting did you use ? what setting was your shutter really operating at ?

What kind of film ? what sensitivity ? what sensitivity did you use ? why ?

What kind of developper did you use ? how old ? what concentration ? what development method did you use ? for how long ? at what temperature ? what agitation ?

What are we looking at ? What scanning parameters (if any) did you use (scanning with parameters adjustment will still allow interesting results with really thin negatives).

You will find through the forum that this question has been asked previously and that a general answer is to keep on trying while taking notes and doing comparisons...

Looking forward to your upcoming results
    Pierre Leduc
    Following link is just a recent sample, pending presentable Large Format production...
    HTML Code:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/132200218@N02/

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre 2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum (I am new myself and also shooting x-ray film).

Even though I understand your question to be a difficult one to answer, some competent people here may be more in a position to help you if you would define following parameters :

How did you read the light ?, what reading did you get ? what setting did you use ? what setting was your shutter really operating at ?

What kind of film ? what sensitivity ? what sensitivity did you use ? why ?

What kind of developper did you use ? how old ? what concentration ? what development method did you use ? for how long ? at what temperature ? what agitation ?

What are we looking at ? What scanning parameters (if any) did you use (scanning with parameters adjustment will still allow interesting results with really thin negatives).

You will find through the forum that this question has been asked previously and that a general answer is to keep on trying while taking notes and doing comparisons...

Looking forward to your upcoming results
    Thanks!
    I used Agfa Ortho CP-GU as ISO100. Exposed at f11 with 4 sec shutter. Developed in stock D-76 in tray for 5.5 min. Scanned with no adjustments.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I like this image, its a bit underexposed but still looks nice to me, next time try exposing at 80 that will give you another 2 sec and bring your leaves up a bit and your flowers but not to the point of blowing out.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Sergie - your work is really inspiring. Beautiful portrait.

Pali
    Sergie rocks the portraits!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuXarik View Post
    Hello all. Started doing xray myself. Got this photo. And my question is: underexposed or underdeveloped (a little bit)?

Under-exposed

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by SuXarik View Post

You can tell whether your negs are underexposed by looking at the shadow detail in the negative. If your shadow areas are clear on the film then you didn't give them enough light to make an impression. When your negs are in the developer, the silver gets progressively dense as the exposed silver develops out. There is much less exposed silver in the shadows because there is less light in the shadows. All of the exposed silver in the shadows gets completely developed in the first couple of minutes because there is so little of it. The rest of the time that the negs are in the developer the exposed silver in the mid tones and highlights are being developed. More time in the developer expands the contrast range as the silver continues to develop. You can tell whether you've overdeveloped the negs by looking to see if the highlights are blocked up. If the highlights are blocked up, give your negs less time in the developer. Less time in the developer won't affect the shadows because the shadows have already completely developed out. Time in the developer determines contrast. More time = more contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewch59 View Post
    Awesome shot Sergei, may I ask what lens? OOF is silky smooth. Oh! to oneday have such talent!
    Thank you, Andrew, thats very kind of you to say.

Its #4 Vitax at about f8, if i remember right f-stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Sergie - your work is really inspiring. Beautiful portrait.

Pali
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    Sergie rocks the portraits!!
    Hehe thanks. I tend to prefer portraiture work to anything else, indeed. Albeit my wife tends to tell me that i pay too much attention to light and not to people, when I am shooting.

To me the lighting is what makes or breaks a good portrait of course having a lovely model helps too