Page 214 of 655 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224264314 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Try one at 160 and at 125. I've been shooting at 160 when I'm in good outdoor light. 80 in deep shade.
    Thanks Jim! I will for sure.

Contrast and range wise, how does the 100 asa image compare to what you're getting?

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

In an image like you have posted over exposed. I did some wedding photos this weekend. 8x10 blue half speed. Open shade with my son bouncing a reflector into the scene. Shot at 160 and the neg's could use a little more exposure. So 125 would have been okay. Remember I'm a carbon printer not scanning or whatever else. Develop for your final presentation. I can make some wonderful carbon prints from these negatives. The bride's white dress has great detail and texture and is not blown out. Developed in D-76 for 8 minutes at 1:1. I can't post them yet as I don't scan negatives. I need to make prints but I know they are right on based on my negatives. You watch it happen in the red light. A great way to teach someone about development and what to look for as the film gains density.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    In an image like you have posted over exposed. I did some wedding photos this weekend. 8x10 blue half speed. Open shade with my son bouncing a reflector into the scene. Shot at 160 and the neg's could use a little more exposure. So 125 would have been okay. Remember I'm a carbon printer not scanning or whatever else. Develop for your final presentation. I can make some wonderful carbon prints from these negatives. The bride's white dress has great detail and texture and is not blown out. Developed in D-76 for 8 minutes at 1:1. I can't post them yet as I don't scan negatives. I need to make prints but I know they are right on based on my negatives. You watch it happen in the red light. A great way to teach someone about development and what to look for as the film gains density.
    Thank you Jim. Much appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge. I'll look forward to seeing those prints.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    Thank you Jim. Much appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge. I'll look forward to seeing those prints.
    Me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    8x10 scan

Soul cage island - 2 by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

This is a great shot and the lith really worksand print of it (contact + screens + lith developer) I actually shot whole series with idea to lith print them, and i am so glad it finally starting to work

Soul Cage Island. Print by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Que?

Here is another image in my test process.

Ektascan_BRA_100fs.5-6.3001 by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr
    Shot at 100 asa. 1/2 at f 6.3

General observations:
    It's looking like I can safely shoot this film at asa 125. I will also be trying 160 (thanks Jim!). It does look like I'm getting some uneven development in the upper right hand side of the image. I will look forward to trying tanks for development to see just how refined I can get this film to act. At less than $1 a shot it's worth the investment in experimentation.

I have a couple of questions for the x-ray shooters...

Where do you usually get your x-ray film from? Does it have an ISO rating like color/bw film? Can I use my regular b/w chemicals to develope it? I'm assuming you have to cut it down to 4x5 or what ever size you want to shoot.

I have a close friend who I'v take images of her daughters. She runs an OBGYN clinic. I may be able to obtain film there.

Just thinking of playing around with it some...

TIA

Pfiltz, All the info you need and some you didn't know you needed is in the, now 1462, posts of this thread. But to answer your supply question, Z-Z Medical, is the one I've used lately. Things like this could be posted on a "links for materials and services suppliers" (like Artcraft Chemicals, lens repair, etc.) thread. Just a list without sales pitches, etc.

I wonder if someone can write an x-ray film article for the LF homepage? I might be willing to actually, or contribute. I'm not the best writer.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome