Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

It's a scan of the print.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly A View Post
    That is very lovely. Thank you for sharing. What are you rating the HRU at?
    Sorry, thought I answered you. Oops. In the studio Broncolor strobes with clear tubes, I set my Strobe Meters to EI 50, and test away. That rating includes a filter factor for the medium yellow filters I use with this film. Then I bracket copiously (the film is cheapo!) and shoot dupes. Damage from scratching added to dust from using olde equipment, leads me to shoot dupes if I like what I am seeing.

Outdoors color temps DO affect film speed. Twelve Noon versus Setting Orange Sun, will/or can radically affect results. Best to shoot lots and give yourself a choice in the darkroom. My 8x10 sheets were 35 cents each so shoot a lot!
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

In 2021 I bought a box (500 sheets) of Fuji mammography (the sigle side one) X-ray film because I was sure it is the last time I could bought it. Now I wanted (again just to have it for the rest of my life) to buy normal, cheap green X-ray film (13x18 and 18x24) and to my surprise it is gone (almost). The distributor of Carestream in Romania doesn't have any film from 2022 and other distributors have some left overs (various brands). This means that the days of cheap x-ray film are almost gone, in US is still available but probably it is old stock - better to have some freezer stock.

Iowa requires all used medical X-Ray be retained for 7 years by law

https://www.google.com/search?q=iowa...&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

I only bought fresh from Iowa ZZ Medical

I bought a case 14X36" no fold for a project

ZZ only sells fresh

It stores well at 72F for many years as tested by me

Make sure you buy analog film and NOT DIGITAL!

https://www.zzmedical.com/x-ray-prac...reen-hr-u.html
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by stiganas View Post
    In 2021 I bought a box (500 sheets) of Fuji mammography (the sigle side one) X-ray film because I was sure it is the last time I could bought it. Now I wanted (again just to have it for the rest of my life) to buy normal, cheap green X-ray film (13x18 and 18x24) and to my surprise it is gone (almost). The distributor of Carestream in Romania doesn't have any film from 2022 and other distributors have some left overs (various brands). This means that the days of cheap x-ray film are almost gone, in US is still available but probably it is old stock - better to have some freezer stock.
    To my knowledge single sided is long gone in the US as well, what remains is HRU and others, which are all dual sided. It is however fresh and not old stock. Fuji is weird — they produce for some markets but not others….

I was surprised by the sudden cancelation from our small market (Romania) - last time I asked the distributor about it - she told me no worry - we have everything in stock, we will have it for a long time and now - we don't distribuite it anymore. Beside this, my sizes (13x18 and 18x24, we don't have 8x10") are not the most used ones in X-ray - one more reason to make a make a stock for the future. It was a long run for the analogic x-ray film - I was expecting to be replaced by digital a long time ago (and I was expecting digital to be truly digital and not printed on "dry flim" but this is another thing) - it had a long run but in medical laboratory there is no nostalgia or art - when is gone is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    To my knowledge single sided is long gone in the US as well, what remains is HRU and others, which are all dual sided. It is however fresh and not old stock. Fuji is weird — they produce for some markets but not others….

Quote Originally Posted by stiganas View Post
    Cat te-o costat atunci cutia de 500 si ce dimensiune?

It was around 50 EUR/ 100 sheets pack when I bought it (Fuji mamo), now the list price is around 80 EUR (Colenta). The regular green is around 12 EUR for 13x18 and 25 EUR for 18x24 /100 pack but now I have so much that for sure I will sell (or give it away) most of it in the coming years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugen Mezei View Post
    Cat te-o costat atunci cutia de 500 si ce dimensiune?

I would like to purchase an x-ray film that I want to cut into a Kodak Panorama no.4, but also use in 18x24 camera. As a cheaper alternative to Fomapan 100.

I'm from the Czech Republic, I see the following ortho films (I don't want a blue-sensitive film) in stock here and around (I don't want a blue-sensitive film):
    Fuji UM-MA HC
    Agfa CP-G
    Agfa HDR-C

Is there a major difference?
    And last question...with Fomapan 100, I sometimes shoot at 400 with cameras that do not allow a longer exposure, and the film can handle it well. Is something like this possible with x-ray film?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by glerin View Post
    I would like to purchase an x-ray film that I want to cut into a Kodak Panorama no.4, but also use in 18x24 camera. As a cheaper alternative to Fomapan 100.

I'm from the Czech Republic, I see the following ortho films (I don't want a blue-sensitive film) in stock here and around (I don't want a blue-sensitive film):
    Fuji UM-MA HC
    Agfa CP-G
    Agfa HDR-C

Is there a major difference?
    And last question...with Fomapan 100, I sometimes shoot at 400 with cameras that do not allow a longer exposure, and the film can handle it well. Is something like this possible with x-ray film?

Thanks.
    ===================

I have written a PDF of my experiments with X-ray films.
    However - I seemingly can NOT up-load it on this "web-site"....

It tells of the selection, Cutting, exposures, and Development processes.

James.....