Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New owner of iQSmart2

Re: New owner of iQSmart2

Thanks Adrian and John. Most of my negatives are 6x9, so the masks will certainly help. But I guess that can wait while I get the scanner going. I'll speak to my friend on Monday and see what he has to say about taking a little ride with me.
    Must wear a fedora when I ask.

Amy, thank you so much. I've sent you a mail. I'm running a PC for my Photoshop work, but also have a 12" iBook with 1.25GB RAM and a lot of space. I guess I can run oXYgen on this? I'll get a dedicated desktop Mac for the scanner once I know it works.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. Once I have the scanner I will have more specific questions.

Cheers,
    Kumar

I was looking at the installation guide for the EverSmart scanners on the Scan_HiEnd forum, and found these instructions for loacking the scanner:

Locking the Scanner
    1. Turn off the scanner.
    2. Set the selector to Lock (POS 8).
    3. Turn on the scanner, and then wait until the Status LED illuminates
    steady green before continuing.
    4. On the operating panel, press the Light button, and wait a few seconds
    for the carriage to move to the locking position, on the right side of
    the scanner.
    5. Insert the flathead screwdriver into the screw located at the inside
    upper right corner of the top cover, push the screw inwards, and then
    turn the screw once, counterclockwise.
    6. Insert the flat screwdriver into the screw located on the right hinge of
    the top cover, and then turn the screw once, clockwise.

This would be the procedure for the iQSmart as well? Can one of you please post a link to the installation manual for the iQSmart?

Thanks a lot,
    Kumar

Kumar, here's the page from the manual I'll mail you tomorrow:

1. Power ON the scanner (the main power switch is on the back of the scanner) and then switch it ON. Wait a few seconds until the Status LED is constant green.

2. Close the top cover.

3. Press the Status button on the operating panel, and wait 10 seconds for the carriage to move to the locking position, on the right side of the scanner.

4. Insert the flat screwdriver on the top right corner of the scanner bed, and turn the screw 180 degrees counter clockwise. The red spot on the screw is down when the screw is locked.

The diagram shows the "Unlock/Lock" screw near the base of the right hinge of the cover, just to help you pinpoint it a bit. I'm not quite sure how you would get at it with the top cover closed (#2 above?), but I imagine in person it will be more clear than it is to me in the diagram!

HTH,
    Amy

Thanks, Amy.

#2 above assumes the cover is open. I'm not sure why the cover would have to be open when it is switched on. Or is it "Close the cover if it is open."? Can someone please clarify?
    I imagine one would have to lift the cover open and turn the screw after the head has moved to the locked position.

Kumar

I spoke to the seller today and walked him through the parking/locking procedure. He also placed some foam to protect the scanner bed. He assured me that it would be extremely well packed, and would give special instructions to the courier. He's positive that there are no accessories/CDs. It should be here in a couple of days.
    More questions to follow!

Kumar

Update:
    The scanner arrived yesterday evening. It was very securely packed, the scanner head was parked and locked properly, and there was foam between the scanner bed and the top cover. I powered up the scanner, and the status light went to green, which according to the manual means the hardware is OK.

Now for the calibration slide and masks. I sent the seller some pictures of both items, and he's searching for them. If he can't find them, where do I look for them, other than Genesis? Is it possible to use the calibration slide from another iQSmart2? Naturally,the serial number would be different, and it would calibrate accordingly. But I'd be able to verify that the scanner is working properly, before buying it and the masks for myself. Is this doable?

Thanks for all the help so far.
    Kumar