Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here we go: purchasing a 4x5 kit of my own... suggestions?

Re: Here we go: purchasing a 4x5 kit of my own... suggestions?

as this is a kit I plan on using for decades.
    Look seriously at Ebony for the camera.

multiplex

hi erik

i hate to sound like a cheapskate in the bunch, but you are used to and have a nice
    groove going with the cf, why don't you look into its grandpappy, the speed graphic?
    i have one that i have been using for decades - and it has never let me down.
    i suggest the speed, rather than the crown graphic, mainly because as a student,
    maybe you want to use non traditional glass ( diopters, lens cells, magnifying glass &C )
    and with a speed graphic you can always use the focal plane shutter ...
    they can use anyting from a 50something ( i have used a 58mm ) lens up to a 15" teleoptar and everything inbetween.
    the body of a speed isn't carbon fiber like the cf, but wood and metal ...
    it is pretty rugged ...
    not that a linhof or ebony isn't nice, but they cost $$$
    if you decide that you want something more like a trophy you can always sell the speed
    and get the other ... there is always a market for the speed ...

have fun in boston + don't forget to go to ep levines -
    john

hey john

gotta love the speed graphics. i have been able to play around with those but never shoot! itd be great to pick one up eventually and get it refurbished, but i think im looking a bit more flexibility in a camera. granted the CF has been incredible in getting me where i want to go, but i think im trying to find field camera that can function beautifully in the field and in the studio. as i understand, the speed graphic excels in the former.

one day ill get my hands on one though thats for sure.

and to clarify maybe using a field camera 'for decades' is a bit of an exaggeration. definitely though at least one decade! if all goes as planned i will be able to upgrade eventually

I own cameras in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 formats. I bought them all used except for my beautiful maple and black 4x5 Chamonix. I am so afraid of hurting this little jewel by taking it out on rough terrain, I almost never use it, preferring to rough it with my Wista 45SP because of its durability, even though it weights three times what the Chamonix does. Camera choice is highly personal, and sometimes illogical, as you see.

Quality professional wooden cameras are as durable as you could want. Also the concept of using a camera for decades is very realistic. I own both metal and wood. I purchased two new Sinar Norma's in 1969 and a used 8x10 Deardorff in 1972. My 8x10 is about 70 years old and while its not pretty its just as functional as the day it was made. I updated the non swinging front standard in 1975 and am the third owner of which all of us have put it through heave professional use. I have transported it across the country many times on jobs and shot thousands of sheets through it. I personally know the second owner and he ran it through the paces for a few decades before I got it. I still use it and shot with it last week. My Normas have seen the same kind of use and are 4 decades old this year. I use them less frequently now but will continue to use them until I can no longer shoot. I also owned and shot a Master Technika for thirty years. Last year I added two additional cameras, a minty Ebony SV45TE and a minty 4x5/5x7 Canham traditional wood. I expect both to last for decades. The Ebont IMO is the finest wood camera I've ever used. Its like all of the improvements I ever wanted in my Deardorff. Ive used my Leice M system for 42 years with a few additions and updates my Nikon F2 system for 30+ years and my Rollei SL66's for almost 30 until I wore them out and went to Hasselblad which Ive used for a decade. I guess I don't understand the reason for constantly selling/ trading and buying equipment. I picked quality equipment that met my needs and would serve me under heavy use for decades and have done just that, used it for decades and hopefully for a few more.

Just guessing I would expect a quality wooden camera to take knocks and bangs better than metal. Wood will crack or dent but metal bends and won't bounce back. I think my Deardorff or Ebony would take a fall much better than my Sinars.

Oops I forgot about my Crown Graphic 4x5 that I got new in 1964 and use from time to time.

Erik

I too have a Wista 45sp and I am very pleased with its performance. This camera rock solid and all movements lock down tight. On the short side I use a Schneider 75mm f/5.6 Super-Angulon with a recessed lens board and on the long side a Fujinon 400 t f/8.0, all with the standard bellows.

Regards,
    Steve

There is always the Walker Titan. Tough as old boots.