Thread: Adaptec 29160N SCSI card

Adaptec 29160N SCSI card

Hi - I'm looking to buy the above mentioned SCSI card to run my new scanner. I want to put it in a Mac. I know nothing about SCSI - could someone tell me if Adaptec SCSI cards were manufactured in two versions - one as PC only and one as Mac only? Or does the one card work in both PC and Mac? Since Adaptec is no longer supporting Macs their website doesn't mention Macs much at all. There are quite a few of these cards on ebay for cheap - I just need to know if I need to find one that is specifically mac or they're all the same card.

thanks

TIm

Re: Adaptec 29160N SCSI card

Tim,
    I don't know that you need a 29160 for a scanner, a 2940 should be fast enough. There are PC and Mac versions of the cards, and they aren't interchangable for the most part. A quick browse through Adaptec's archives or knowledgebase should yield the answer. If I'm not mistaken, the PowerDomain series is for Macs. I have several that I use in Macs around the studio, though it's been years since I've had to screw with them, and don't remember the details. What OS are you running? I have a mix of OS9 and OSX and don't recall any major, show stopping issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Shawcross View Post
    Hi - I'm looking to buy the above mentioned SCSI card to run my new scanner. I want to put it in a Mac. I know nothing about SCSI - could someone tell me if Adaptec SCSI cards were manufactured in two versions - one as PC only and one as Mac only? Or does the one card work in both PC and Mac? Since Adaptec is no longer supporting Macs their website doesn't mention Macs much at all. There are quite a few of these cards on ebay for cheap - I just need to know if I need to find one that is specifically mac or they're all the same card.

thanks

TIm
    Visit the Adaptec website for more information.

Don Bryant

Just waiting to be developed..

The adaptec cards are usually good for most situations. Atto also has a few older ones that work great.
    I would check flee bay for a good deal. I bought a handful recently for my different scanners and raid arrays.

I have found that the Adaptec 2930 is a good balance for the G3 or G4 macs. Anything more is overkill.
    The transfer rate of the scanner is usually far less then the scsi bus and the software.

Scsi is fun! I love it. There was a time when everyone in the pre press industry had to know at least the basics of a scsi bus.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

you might look at Symbios SCSI cards I had a problem with Adaptec SCSI
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Thanks guys.

All the literature for the scanner I'm getting (Screen Cezanne Elite) recommends the 29160N. I'm sure other SCSI cards would work just as well, but I figure given I keep hearing SCSI is a pain to get working right I might be one less variable (hopefully) to worry about!