Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal Heliar "Handles"

Universal Heliar "Handles"

Folks,

I'm sending a 42cm Universal Heliar of the older uncoated variety to S.K. Grimes for service. Since one of the knurled "handles" is missing, I thought I'd have Adam turn me one, or a set, maybe out of a stainless bolt. They're simple.

So, anybody need any? My guess is that once the machine is set up, additional handles become much cheaper. They seem easy to lose and frequently come loose in shipping.

Anyway, if you're interested let me know. I imagine Adam would ship directly to you, or I can send them to you at cost if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Steve

Re: Universal Heliar "Handles"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Folks,

I'm sending a 42cm Universal Heliar of the older uncoated variety to S.K. Grimes for service. Since one of the knurled "handles" is missing, I thought I'd have Adam turn me one, or a set, maybe out of a stainless bolt. They're simple.

So, anybody need any? My guess is that once the machine is set up, additional handles become much cheaper. They seem easy to lose and frequently come loose in shipping.

Anyway, if you're interested let me know. I imagine Adam would ship directly to you, or I can send them to you at cost if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Steve
    Steve,

Yes, definitely. I have a 48cm Universal Heliar that's in otherwise mint condition. It was shipped to me in the original leather case. Without additional padding, two of the "handles" were bent/broken during shipping. I'd love to get a couple replacements.

Are you going to ask Adam to make the older style with the knurling, or the later smooth style. Given the choice, I'd prefer the older style (and can provide one as an example if needed), but I'll take whatever I can get.

Kerry

Kerry,

I remember you having "handle" problems. I have a 36cm Universal, mint in box shipped the same way. One handle was AWOL but I found it in the packing. The diffusion ring was frozen, so it too went off to Adam. He looked at it for a week or ten days before he saw the problem, and said he removed a piece of metal the size of a fine eyelash about 1/16" long. People don't pack these things well enough. Maybe because of the weight they think they're indestructible or they don't care.

My 42cm was packed well but it was missing a handle as described.

The handles will be the old knurled type. I was thinking about having a set made so they'd match.

How many do you want? Two, four? Five (one for breakage)?

BTW, mine is going to Woonsocket in it's very own Storm Case double boxed.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve,

I'll take four. I still have two good originals. So, that will give me a complete set with two spares.

Kerry

Kerry,

Will do. I'll contact you after I talk to Adam. I'm doing 4 also.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve, I might be interested in a pair...

jason

Update: my lens and a handle should arrive at S.K Grimes Thursday or Friday. I'll PM everyone with prices. I assume you'd just pay Adam and have him ship them. I also think these are the same as used on the aperture rings of the larger "regular" Heliars.

Cheers, Steve

I would take four of those myself. Adam has my credit card memorized by now.

David Blocher

David,

I feel your pain...

Steve

Update:

We're up to 14 handles not counting spares orders. I spoke with Adam this morning, and he will post a notice on his site saying when the handles will be made and the price, then you order directly from him.

I hope we have enough volume to make the price more reasonable, and those of you that would contemplate an additional large Heliar purchase should consider some spares as at least some the handles are frequently missing, and IIRC, the non-Universal 420 and 480 lenses use them on aperture rings.

Thanks to everyone for helping make this work, and I'll continue to keep the forum updated when Adam posts.

Cheers, Steve