Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rittrek 5x7 Metal Field Camera system. Part 1

The Rittrek 5x7 Metal Field Camera system. Part 1

People seem to be curious about this really cool metal field camera system, so I am uploading various photos taken of my system. I have all the backs, and I will show them to you.

First photo shows the most common 5x7 back with integral fold-up focusing hood.
    Second photo shows the Rotating 4x5 back with integral fold-up focusing hood.
    Third photo shows the Whole Plate extension back.
    Fourth photo shows the 8x10 extension back, which is made mostly of wood. It is very light.

Re: The Rittrek 5x7 Metal Field Camera system. Part 2

First photo shows the Rittrek with 8x10 extension back at maximum extension which is about 17 inches.
    Second photo shows a 14" lens on a home-made top-hat lensboard to give about 2 more inches extension, or about 19 inches.
    Third photo show the Rittreck front standard. The Rittrek uses its own lens board, and I don't have any so I made my own.
    Fourth photo shows my adaptor lens board for common Crown Graphic lens boards. It consists of a masonite flat panel with a piece of square 1/4" high grade plywood that has been cut out and a channel was routed out to match the crown graphic lens board. I used a pair of lens board retaining sliders from a Crown Graphic parts camera. The bottom of the well is covered with self-adhesive black felt to help with light trapping.

Re: The Rittrek 5x7 Metal Field Camera system. Part 3

The back of the adaptor board shows the screws used to attach the plywood panel. They just clear the circular opening in the Rittrek front standard.
    Second photo shows how the adaptor fits behind the lower lens board retainer on the Rittrek. I had to sand a bevel on the bottom, as the masonite was thicker than the metal boards the Rittrek was designed for.
    Third photo shows the retaining clip for holding the top of the lensboard. There is a lock to keep the clip from coming loose.
    Forth photo shows a lens mounted on a common Crown Graphic lensboard mounted with the adaptor to the Rittrek.

Re: The Rittrek 5x7 Metal Field Camera system. Part 1

Thanks for sharing Gene. That's a neat camera.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for sharing - this will be a good reference for people interested in the camera.

In addition to 4x5, 5x7, WP and 8x10, there's also a back in a panoramic format that's a shade less than 6x10. When I have some time I'll take a snapshot of mine and add it to this thread.

And I have the 6x9(cm) sliding back. I make my lensboards from 6x10(in) .060 hobby shop aluminum. I made one board as an adaptor to take Linhof boards.

Information on Rittreck views in particular is rare. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a so-so picture that I have on file showing the front standard with a factory-issue Technika adapter mounted.

More when I have a chance to make some new snaps...

HHChapman

Rittreck seals help

Hello Gene and fellow Rittreck keepers,

I have a Rittreck with 5x7 and whole plate backs that need seal replacement. I was hoping someone could provide a source(s) for material that could be used to fit the following areas:

The 5x7 back needs material to go in the area that the film holder contacts. These surfaces had a foam seal that fit in spaces 1mm deep, 15mm wide and 11.5mm wide.

The whole plate back seal where the back extension joins the camera needs to fit a space 2mm deep and 7mm wide. The section where the ground glass mount fits to the extension needs a seal 10mm wide, depth uncertain.

The 5x7 back to camera junction has had its seal replaced with what looks like adhesive backed neoprene. This replacement material functions well.

Any suggestions on how to source this stuff?

Thank you,
    Harlan

Seal replacements. You can get thin sheets of black felt, and black foam at hobby shops such as Hobby Lobby or Michaels. (if in the USA). Sometimes you can get material that has a peel-and-stick adhesive back. You will have to cut it to size with a sharp knife, utility knife or exacto knife and a straight edge. If the material you are using is spongy enough to compress, you can use slightly thicker material than used originally and it will work. You are going to have to improvise, as you are not going to find an exact replacement. If the material you use is not adhesive, you can use double side adhesive tape, trimmed, or you can use liquid adhesive such as trim cement, fabric cement or craft cement. The hobby and craft shop is your friend when doing renovation on large format cameras.

If you do some seal replacement, post pictures of your work.