Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyo metal field camera 4 3/4 x 6 1/2

Toyo metal field camera 4 3/4 x 6 1/2

could someone post a picture of the original 5x7 back for this camera?
    costum made 5x7 backs are also welcome to the show.
    my main format is 5x7 i would love to convert my toyo (4x5 ) to 5x7.
    boris

Re: Toyo metal field camera 4 3/4 x 6 1/2

I made a 5x7 back for mine out of an old wood 5x7 back screwed to a thin piece of sheet metal cut to fit the opening on the back of the camera. I got the sheet metal in a small sheet at a local hardware store, and rough-cut it to size with a pair of sheet metal nibbler shears. I then used a grinder to smooth out the rough edges and drilled holes to mount it with wood screws to the 5x7 back. After construction, I spray painted the back flat black, and used some self-adhesive felt around the edge where the adaptor mates up with the camera opening as a light seal. The backs for the Toyo half-plate camera (4 3/4 x 6 1/2) fit into a groove at the bottom and are retained at the top with 2 clips. Very easy to attach, or rotate for verticals. The opening of the camera is square.

This camera makes a GREAT 5x7 field camera. Extremely light, and takes standard Crown Graphic lensboards.

i think this call Rittreck camera , John schneider had modified the back for it , here the link http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ittreck+camera

i have two spare 5x7 backs (plaubel and linhof) but both are to big. unfortunately it is very difficult to adapt
    gene, could you show your adaptation?
    thanks,
    boris

i contacted john schneider.. unfortunately he sold his camera so no pics.
    did somebody ever saw a original 5x7 back for the toyo ?

Glenn Evans (glennview.com) claims he's had two or three of them over the years. (He also sold a whole plate back for the camera not too long ago.)

I have never seen one of the original Toyo 5x7 backs, but it would be relatively easy to construct one because of Toyo's modular design. The interface for the back assembly attachment is the same as the Toyo 158mm lens board. Thus a spare 158mm lens board can be used as the basis for the new adapter back. Ideally, the adapter back should be deep enough to focus the shortest 5x7 lens at infinity, with the main camera bellows at close to minimum extension, so as to avoid vignetting by the main camera body.

I made an extension back for my 45AX using two spare 158mm lens boards and part of a 45G rear standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    I have never seen one of the original Toyo 5x7 backs, but it would be relatively easy to construct one because of Toyo's modular design. The interface for the back assembly attachment is the same as the Toyo 158mm lens board.

The Toyo half-plate folding field camera does not have a 158mm rear, nor does it use a 158mm lensboard.

gene, could you show your back? i would like to see the connection between the toyo and your selfmade adapter.
    thank you, boris

Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    gene, could you show your back? i would like to see the connection between the toyo and your selfmade adapter.
    thank you, boris
    I'll try to shoot some digi-snaps this afternoon when I go to my studio. and post them here soon afterward.