Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Examples of same image on different papers

Examples of same image on different papers

I have read a lot of discussion on the differences between various papers, but when I searched the forum I could not find any instances where people had posted the same image on two different papers, illustrating some particular characteristic of a paper. Can anyone point me towards examples on the forum, or if you have actually done comparisons, can you post some?

I raised this issue in another thread and the response was that I should just try a lot of different papers myself, but I live in Bangkok and have limited choices here, and its not easy or cheap to order a boatload of papers from the states on the off chance I might like one more than the others.

Best, Tim

Re: Examples of same image on different papers

Demonstrating the difference between papers is not an easy thing to do on a computer monitor. It is like comparing viewing a transparency to a print. The only way to do this is to see the results "in the flesh". Things like surface finish, degree of gloss, etc will be much more significant than can be demonstrated on a computer.

Okay. I can understand how differnt paper textures would be hard to represent on a monitor, but people always talk about "deep velvety blacks" and warm or cool tones. Couldn't those be represented? Or are the differences between papers just to subtle to discern in a digital format?

If that is the case I will understand, as I recognize the laptop is an imperfect display medium.

Tim

Octogenarian

Tim,

One person's velvety black is another person's dark grey.

You're asking for the impossible.

Can't be done on a computer monitor.

Impossible as people say but here are examples of the same negative on different medium

Lith
    POP (Gold Toned)
    Palladium Na2
    Lodima in Neutol WA

Actually the Lith is with a neg not Selenium toned to increase contrast. The other three are the same negative.

I don't know if the paper manufacturers do this any more but they used to sell sample packets, with a couple sheets of various different kinds of papers so you could try them and see for yourself. You might check with Ilford and whoever else still makes b&w paper.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks Keeds. Those are really interesting. Although they are quite different, I clearly prefer the look of the lith print and the Lodima, and makes me think I might try some of the Lodima sometime (perhaps not surprizing as I love the look of old Hollywood portraits).

What would be really interesting is to reduce the number of variables, use the same developer on four different papers, or perhaps use the recommended developer for each paper (although that might be over-complicated).

Gem, I understand that assessment is subjective, that one person/s gray may be another's velvet black, but that's why it seems to me that when discussing papers it would make sense to illustrate characteristics with images.

Anyone else have examples they can post?

Keeds, looking at those images, I would say the Lodima has a longer or broader tonal range than the other images. Would you agree with that? How do you see the differences between these different approaches?
    Best, Tim

Tim,

The guy who did the work for you is Bruce Barlow. About 5 years ago he did a series of articles for View Camera Magazine titled the Great Print/Developer Shoot Out.

Bruce contacted the different manufacturers, explained what he was doing and requested samples. He has 2 3" binders full of prints. I've taken a few workshops with Bruce, so have had an opportunity to view his work. His books are organized so you first view the same "proper proof" print on different papers. Once you identify the paper you prefer, you then view the same paper developed with different developers and different dilutions of the same developer until you find the combination you prefer.

The articles are available on Bruce's website

www.circleofthesunproductions.com

While you are there, check our Bruce's book "Finely Focused." It is well worth the $25.

I doubt Bruce would ship his work to Bangkok, but if you ever find youself in New Hampshire, give Bruce a call. He is a wonderful gentleman and I'm sure he would do his best to allow you access to his print binders.

My other advice would be to visit galleries/museums/university art shows and view the prints until you find what you like best, the inquire about the materials used to obtain that look. HOPEFULLY they are still available.

Yep - it pretty much boils down to lecture, if you cannot get to see original prints. What with paper texture and reflectivity affecting a scanner different than the human eye, and enlarger, process, scanner and postproc plus the printer and scanner operator as variables in addition to the paper itself, a comparison of scans could at the very best tell you where to have your stuff printed and scanned...