Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chamonix Users

Re: Chamonix Users

Not sure if this is appropriate or not, but I'm selling my Chamonix 045N-1 here on LF. It's currently on the classified section!

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=47209

I've had it since the beginning of August, but only used it twice (and in my own home)! It's a fine camera!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dunham View Post
    Great camera, buy one, start shooting and you won't look back.
    Chris.
    I'm SOLD !

The Chamonix 045n-1 is the camera of choice as my first LF, in my new adventure learning LF photography. After reading all of your threads receiving some feedback from experienced and novices alike, I've decide that as a beginner, the Chamonix equipped with universal bellows, and 150mm len will be enjoyable tools in which to learn to use and developing my photographic eye.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    I'm SOLD !

The Chamonix 045n-1 is the camera of choice as my first LF, in my new adventure learning LF photography. After reading all of your threads receiving some feedback from experienced and novices alike, I've decide that as a beginner, the Chamonix equipped with universal bellows, and 150mm len will be enjoyable tools in which to learn to use and developing my photographic eye.
    You won't be disappointed. I've had my for a little over a month now and love it. Am dreaming of the day I can move up a format or two.

Lost !!!

Dang!!!, you guys are moving a lot faster than me.

Kevin

Not really Kevin ...

I still have to acquire the camera, lens and other trappings. The only piece of gear I have are two tripods. We'll all get there.

Kevin has a cute "introduction to 4x5" camera. He just needs to break it out. Original Zeiss Pre-WWII Tessar even.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Lost !!!

Tattle tale

This weekend I hope.

I purchased my Chamonix 045n-1 today and I should receive it later this week. I also picked up two used lenses that arrived today. I would like to go the quickload route and send my film to a lab for developing. Where would you suggest I purchase my film and have it developed? Cost, service etc. I am a complete novice at LF but would like to take a few photos to get the ball rolling. What film for landscape, spring flowers etc. is the highest quality? I don't plan to shoot a high volume of film (thats what I have digital for) so I don't mind using the best film. I would like to capture some really special shots on LF.

Wherever I purchase this from, it would be nice if they had someone to talk to that understood LF. I don't even know how to load the film or loader into the camera. I would like to have the images put on a CD.

Is there instant film still available and is that a way to test whether I am setting up the exposure correctly?

I would like to limp by without a spotmeter for awhile. Can I use my D700 to check readings?

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Bach View Post
    Larry,

Grafmatics slip under, and are held by the ground glass on my Chamonix. It can also take the thicker Polaroid 550 holder easily.

I use mine with lenses from 55 mm to 300 mm, and a 400 mm tele - all with the bellows that came with the Christmas 2007 batch. I've ordered the bag bellows and I'm still waiting. I'm very happy with it as a general purpose camera.

Best,
    Helen
    Thanks Helen.

Now that I have one of my own I can concur that the Grafmatics slip under fine, but the springs on mine aren't really strong enough to hold it tight. Luckily the rotating tabs are easy to use and help make sure it's on there tight.

The Shen-Hao bag bellows fit this camera fine, which was a nice surprise.

The 6x17 panoramic back is a bit loose. I flipped the rotating tabs over and it helped a bit. I added some gaffers tape to the back to act as a spacer. The Chamonix also doesn't have a nice felt around the film frame to act as a light trap like the Shen-Hao. I don't think this is causing the looseness issue, but it could be.

@Timberline12k: I have been using Fuji color neg for years, is a good allround film.
    For B&W Ilford 125 ASA is nice, Velvia 50 for slides (1/15 at f:22 with sun in your back),
    but there are so many other good films around.
    For filmholders go for the Fidelity's, they are good and not too expensive.
    A dark cloth, a focussing magnifier, cable release and: good weather !!!!

Enjoy !

Peter