Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEDs for 8x10 scratch built enlarger- is there an update?

LEDs for 8x10 scratch built enlarger- is there an update?

i recall an earlier post on LEDs as an alternative to tungsten and Aristo- is there any recent update to info and technology?

Eric Woodbury

Re: LEDs for 8x10 scratch built enlarger- is there an update?

LEDs are getting brighter and more powerful. Still the biggest problem may be what to do with all the heat. Since LEDs are fairly monochromatic, they don't radiate much heat. There is a lot of engineering to do to design your own LED light source and for someone to design one for the market, well, there would have to be a market. Not likely anymore. Coldlights continue to work well and are relatively inexpensive. For the ultimate in control, there is scanning and digital printing. Digital technology and inkjet printers continue to march on as well.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I have no update. However, I have thought about trying if I had the time and could acquire the know-how.

In any case, I wish someone would cobble together something simple such as a 10x10 inch breadboard loaded with 3 LED arrays (Blue, green, and white), each with an on/off switch along with diffusion glass, simple negative carrier for 4x5 and 8x10 film, and adapters for converting Beseler or Omega enlargers to the 8x10 format. A breadboard setup would allow users to experiment if they wanted to and would allow easy repairs. Keep in mind I have no idea what I am really talking about and have no experience with electrical products but the idea sounds good.

In any case, I wish someone would cobble together something simple such as a 10x10 inch breadboard loaded with 3 LED arrays (Blue, green, and white), each with an on/off switch along with diffusion glass, simple negative carrier for 4x5 and 8x10 film, and adapters for converting Beseler or Omega enlargers to the 8x10 format

Sounds simple doesn't it, just some LED's a switch and a board to mount them on.

Sounds simple doesn't it, just some LED's a switch and a board to mount them on.
    Yes, but it really isn't. The amount of light an LED puts out, as well as its life expectancy are very dependent upon resistance. They need to be engineered, not just soldiered into place. Fortunately, here are a few web-based calculators around which can do some of the engineering for you...

Yes, but it really isn't. The amount of light an LED puts out, as well as its life expectancy are very dependent upon resistance. They need to be engineered, not just soldiered into place. Fortunately, here are a few web-based calculators around which can do some of the engineering for you...

Yes, but it really isn't.

Hello! McFly, hello!

Litepanels, awesome lights we use often. They'd be perfect for an enlarger but $$$$$$
    http://www.s131567196.onlinehome.us/...s/onebyone.asp
    search ebay for led's. there are 12"x12" square arrays already built and not nearly expensive as the above units. I don't have any idea about the quality or color temp though.

Has there been any new work with the newer Cold Fluro lamps? I realise they are dodgie during warm up and there are all sorts of issues with colour temperature - The availability of cold lamps such as Aristo in Oz is problematical- with freight and the not so delicate handling by our public servants at US and OZ airports. Has anyone done any recent successful builds?

These appear to work well:

http://www.ledtronics.com/products/P...px?WP=C349K594

Here is the guy who did it:

http://www.deadbread.com/crumbs/23c.html

Jon

I have an LED enlarger head on my Focomat. It is wonderful. I can change contrast with no exposure change. It uses blue and green LEDs and a controller that varies the output of the two together via a dial.