Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do all the lens caps go? Making your own.

Eric Woodbury

Where do all the lens caps go? Making your own.

I just bought a lens from KEH. I love the lens, but KEH didn't get the caps when they got it and therefore, I didn't get any caps. Somewhere in this world there must be a drawer full of lens caps and I'm wondering where it is. This is not the first lens I've purchased without getting caps. Who's got them?

The lens is a bit of an odd size in the back and I can't find a replacement yet. Do you have a tricky way to make your own caps? I'd like to see what others have done for making their own replacement caps.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Photographer

Re: Where do all the lens caps go? Making your own.

There's a Nikkor cap that fell out of my pocket near a windmill on the eastern plains of Colorado. Can't remember exactly where, but I remember losing it.

I made one lens cap from the cap on an aspirn bottle. I whittled it down a little with a utility knife. It was still on it when I sold it.

You can find a lot of slip on caps in various sizes at B&H. I think Kaiser is the brand.

I have most of my lenses stepped to 67mm to standardize filters and use snap caps on them. Get better quality snap caps if you go this route (Nikkor is a good brand); the cheap ones don't stay on.
    Keith Pitman

There's a cheap lens cap off my Tessar somewhere between the stonework of the seats in an ancient Greco-Roman amphitheatre

Some archaeologist might find it in s few centuries.

Ian

Joel Edmondson

I think they are like the socks that disappear in the dryer... Steve Grimes made really nice ones (Delrin I think) and they were not terribly expensive. I think the folks who took over from him still make them. Google SK Grimes.

Joel Edmondson

I was wrong... they are plastic but are nice nonetheless. Prices are up from when I bought mine (start at $25).

Just waiting to be developed..

AJ's right, they are like socks. I finally got fed up with losing them in my bags or on the ground that i bought a bunch of those cap keepers.
    I know its not "Professional looking" but i have not lost a cap since.
    The front and rear caps have a little string that attached to a loop of elastic and that goes around the front element of the lens.
    When i put the lens board in the camera, they dangle out of the way. Its magic, no more lost caps!
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Dave Karp

I think they are in an alternate universe populated by lens caps and cable releases.

... and in that alternate universe there is an ongoing thread wondering where all the lenses and cameras have gone. A quick inventory of my shelves would answer that question for them ... and I think there are more than a few on this Forum who are contributing to their missing items list.

Joel Edmondson

Amen Brother Jim... I recently did an "inventory" and am amazed at the quantity of LF "stuff" I have accumulated over the last forty-five years! Truth is, I had much more fun back during those years when I had one 4x5, five film holders, one lens and - more often than not - was shooting outdated film from the base property disposal yard! "I'm still ignorant so what happened to all that bliss?"

There is a tiny atoll in the south pacific where lens caps form the basis of the local monetary system- seashells remain in use for change.