Page 61 of 696 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161561 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Re: What did you compose at Water’s Edge?

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Dave,

Such an excellent image...

I shall show the pier image one day...
    Here is the image I captured that evening, just before the incident began...

jim k

Near Dusk, Kennedy Lake, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, 2007

Preston Birdwell

Slip, Sliding, Away

Sonora Pass Country-August 09
    Tachi 4x5
    300 Nikkor
    160 Pro-s
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

So, do you actually have to be able to SEE the water to qualify for this thread?

The water was just in front of and below me when I took this picture of the lock chamber and the powerhouse at Seneca Falls, NY; but the water in the lock chamber had just been let out to allow a boat lock through.

4x5, Ilford Delta 100, 150mm Schneider lens, yellow filter.

Bruce
    Last edited by bgh; 14-Dec-2009 at 18:59. Reason: illogical sentence fragment....

LJ Segil

Beautiful as usual, Jim. Perhaps taken with the big 210mm?
    This, on the other hand, is Big Spider Lake in Hayward, WI, an area dear to my heart for almost fifty years now. Taken with a Wehman 8x10 using the (little) 210mm Goerz Doppel Anastigmat Series III f/6.8 (vignetting at its finest) at f/16 on Efke 25 film. Probably really belongs in the Galli thread given the "quality" (or more maybe more accurately lack thereof) of the image, but here it is anyway.
    Larry

Dear Larry,

Merci...

Yes the 210XL happened to be my choice that evening...

Your image reminds me of my childhood, and our old family cottage along the lake, complete with all the boat hangers. I loved going fishing in the early morning.

jim k

Dear Bruce,

Nicely done...

That looks like a very interesting place to capture an image or two, especially the mooring wall's aging detail, and the possibilities with mechanical building in the background too. Are you able to access the mooring area and the balance of the site, or is access to the entire area closed to the public? My guess would be that the entire area is closed for safety reasons.

Just curious...

jim k

Hi Jim--

Thanks for the comment! Its one of my favorites.

And yes, the entire Erie Canal system is provides fantastic opportunities for photographs--I just wish that I were more creative in seeing them. For the most part, the areas along the locks are all accessible to the public, at least when the Canal is open (spring through late fall). I was particularly fortunate to be visiting a number of the canal sites on a mission from the Erie Canal Museum in Syracuse with the goal of getting photographs for an exhibit showing the integration of hydroelectric power into the canal system; that gave me a bit of clout to get some shots that might not have been quite as easily available to the general public.

As for the powerhouse in this picture, it is owned and operated by a private company (using the water of the canal under an arrangement with the State Canal Corporation), and thus not open to the public. However, I have done some photographs of the interior while doing some other work for that company. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, which licenses hydroelectric plants, generally takes a dim view of publishing photos of the interior of hydro plants (even this one, still using its original 1915 generating equipment!) for security reasons, so I don't make those photos public.

Thanks again for the comment!

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Bruce,

Nicely done...

That looks like a very interesting place to capture an image or two, especially the mooring wall's aging detail, and the possibilities with mechanical building in the background too. Are you able to access the mooring area and the balance of the site, or is access to the entire area closed to the public? My guess would be that the entire area is closed for safety reasons.

Just curious...

jim k

Dear Bruce,

Thank you for the follow-up...

The great and mighty FERC. I have dealt with those folks over the years, while building and, or operating crude oil pipelines, and other major natural gas liquid pipelines into the USA from Canada. They surely can make your day very eventful...

Again, thank you for the information, and if you have a moment, please show a wee bit more of your images, around this subject. I find that subject material to be fascinating.

jim k

2x5" pano (i.e. 2 on a 4x5" sheet) Super Angulon 65mm f/8, exposure around the f/22 and 64seconds mark, RVP. Probably over-gradded the sky a touch but you live and learn.

Dave, very nice. I like the 'open light' foreground and being drawn back into darkness.

Could you explain this "2x5" pano (i.e. 2 on a 4x5" sheet)" a bit more? Are you saying you only used 2" of the 4" width or are you somehow getting two images on the 4" width? As you might be able to tell, I know little about shooting panos.