Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review/Exhibit Fees and the New Depression

Review/Exhibit Fees and the New Depression

Hi all,

I'm just wondering how many of you out there are sending out work to portfolio reviews, juried exhibits, contests, etc. and are flinching at the fees these places charge to look at and show work, especially considering the state of the world economy. To what extent are you deciding where to send work relative to how much you have to pay? I'm putting together a petition signed by photographers (and anybody else who cares) to ask these places to lower their fees for the duration of the "downturn". I posted a similar thread on APUG and on my blog, so we can get more people interested and involved. Please do the same if you agree. All the best,

GB

Re: Review/Exhibit Fees and the New Depression

Juried shows that charge a fee are about making money off the photographers. My opinion.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I agree, Walter, and that's what I'd like to change. Portfolio Reviews have become an obligatory stage in a photographer's life, and I think it's wrong that they're trying to profit off of us. I think they should cover their expenses, and make their money off of commissions or other arrangements w photographers who are succesful as a result of their participation. The traditional relationship between art patrons and artists is precisely opposite the one now in place at these shows/reviews, where the patron sustained the artists until he/she could make it on their own. The patron benefitted when he picked the right horse, so to speak, and the pieces he bought early rose in value. This is still of course how galleries operate, except now we have to pay a steep entrance fee before we can even get to the gallery stage. Moreover, the economics of it make nos sense, as you're creating barriers to entry based on wealth, not artistic ability, so you're basically excluding anyone with talent and without money. What one wants is easy access to exhibition venues for the best talents, regardless of economic status, and that's the opposite of what the current model does.

I agree and not.

The portfolio reviews don't make money for the organizers. The reviewers' travel and lodging expenses are many, as you can imagine; remember also that they volunteer their time to do this, even though it is in their interest to see emerging work.

That doesn't necessarily justify the cost to us, though, which makes it feel as if we are being taken advantage of. Unless you come away with something in hand - the prospect of a show, a possible sale - it's tempting to feel that it's not worth it.

With juried shows, I feel comfortable drawing a line between ones that charge a modest fee for multiple images, and the larger ones that charge you exorbitantly per image. Some are in fact businesses making money of a large number of entries, and others are genuine outfits trying to cover basic costs.

All in all, though, I think that the petition is a good idea, Gabriel, and would encourage you to post a link to it here as well.
    Last edited by claudiocambon; 7-Mar-2009 at 13:10. Reason: spelling, as usual

As with everything, you need to investigate who is charging a fee to make money, and which organizations appear to be using the money to offset the expected costs of the exhibition. I definitely mistrust for-profit galleries that charge a fee. But then I think the gallery/museum/critic system is essentially corrupt and ripe for overturning.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Juried shows that charge a fee are about making money off the photographers. My opinion.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    I agree, Walter, and that's what I'd like to change. Portfolio Reviews have become an obligatory stage in a photographer's life, and I think it's wrong that they're trying to profit off of us.
    Should camera companies also stop trying to profit off of you as well? Sorry, but it's exactly BECAUSE of our economy that galleries, curators and what not have to think of more ways on how to make money. If a photographer is willing spend several thousand dollars on a new camera, they are also willing to pay $25 or $35 to enter a contest. Some of these people have spent a great deal of their lives learning on what makes a successful photograph or not and their advice is valuable - why should they give it to you for free? Where can you go to in this world and receive an expert's opinion for FREE? You can't! If someone is an expert in a field, they deserve to be paid for their advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I entered a few this year and frankly I have an undecided feel. on one hand, being an emerging photographer is rough. 60 into thin air is kind of a lot of dough. certain contests and reviews are more valuable in my opinion. one which comes to mind is PDN and communication arts. At least if you are selected or win, you are sure to have your work in front of A LOT of art directors and photo editors.

I try and help out other people I meet trying to get into the biz or learning how to shoot work. Ive experienced a lot of creatives who ACTIVELY buy work for advertising and print publications and they have never charged me a cent. I think this is just an example of capitalism in photography.

I was kind of upset to see hey hot shot have a 60$ fee this year. I like the idea of critical mass, but I cant afford dropping 275$ on a contest. I could drop that into paper, ink and have a sweet portfolio to go and see people with.

I'd rather invest in myself and then show up at something like PDN and network the hell out of it.

just a few thoughts.
    Ektachrome 64 x wishes and Tech Pan Dreams

If you are really good and, more importantly, dedicated, you will not go undiscovered. You do not need a jury, they need you. Do it the old fashioned way, if you truly believe you have something unique to offer; go knock on doors. Who are these self-appointed experts sitting in judgement of your work for a fee? The people that matter, charge nothing. Take your work to the museum curators and directors if you feel your work is worthy of their time. I did it, and sat with Steichen at MOMA when I was eighteen. However, in my opinion, sending CD's and money is not the way to establish or enhance a career in photography.