Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: March portraits

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Re: March portraits

Ok, I did a test w/ a Primo 4- 3200 w/s burst from 5' at iso 3 ( lowest the meter goes) and the reading shows f8.0 and 6/10's

using the 12x16" softbox

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    Ok, I did a test w/ a Primo 4- 3200 w/s burst from 5' at iso 3 ( lowest the meter goes) and the reading shows f8.0 and 6/10's

using the 12x16" softbox
    oh baby! sounds promising. i am not too familiar with strobes.....do they throw daylight colored light? sounds like i need to stop by your place and play with the lights...
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

hehe,, come on over... yes daylight balanced ... Also bear in mind that with a Pulso 4 head you can focus the beam of light into wide spead or narrow.. For the test I used it set halfway

You could also get more light with a polished parabolic reflector if more drastic measures are needed but at the same time you could posibly damage their eyesight .. I know if you tried that with my(now sold) 6400 w/s Pulso you could set someones hair on fire
    umm,,well heck at least you'd get the shot jk

I'd like to start doing wetplate myself ,,, I was hoping I'd have enough light to get f4.5 - 4 stops bellows factor which would be perfect for what I wanna do which is 11x14 macro wetplate but I'll have the advantage of multi pops

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    hello all,

well the trend continues......i continue to shoot portraits around the beginning of the month.

these are 8x10 wet plate images using an unnamed 19 inch brass RR. about 2 sec. at f8

i am practicing shooting formal wedding shots using wet plate. please comment or make suggestions. (obviously the second was a fun shot but comments are welcome)

thanks

eddie
    Eddie,

I like the contemporary clothing and hair with wet plate but for some reason the black top you shot them on bugs me. The snow on the ground and winter trees look great but the parking lot ground makes it less "special".

I had an illustration prof always tell us to "consider the background" and in your case I think it's more like "consider the ground". Everything else is working (for me) and I especially like the "fun" shot. Who says wet plate has to be so stoic?

See you around,

Alan.

I guess light-wise I'm pretty lucky in Arizona for wetplate. Most of the time a wide open petzval is too fast outdoors for my lenscap shutter technique. This halfplate collodion was taken in full shade, the subject facing NE. Vitax at f5.6 and 2 sec.

hehe,, come on over... yes daylight balanced ... Also bear in mind that with a Pulso 4 head you can focus the beam of light into wide spead or narrow.. For the test I used it set halfway

You could also get more light with a polished parabolic reflector if more drastic measures are needed but at the same time you could posibly damage their eyesight .. I know if you tried that with my(now sold) 6400 w/s Pulso you could set someones hair on fire
    umm,,well heck at least you'd get the shot jk

I'd like to start doing wetplate myself ,,, I was hoping I'd have enough light to get f4.5 - 4 stops bellows factor which would be perfect for what I wanna do which is 11x14 macro wetplate but I'll have the advantage of multi pops
    I think the question will be how well the flash tubes are corrected for UV. If they have an effective UV coating you may not go far in exposing a collodion emulsion. I would be interested to hear if you give it a try.

Ray

Eddie,

Since the basic silver halide is blue-sensitive, I wonder why your subjects' lips are so pale. Is this an artifact of exposure and the shape of the H&D curve, or do you just have exceptionally pale subjects? I'm not sure that makeup would fix this and still keep the classic look, unless it was done very carefully and with an understanding of the spectral sensitivity issue.

Anyway, I love the pictures and look forward to your future efforts.

Harold

these two women are pretty pale. they may have had some lipstick on as well.

below is a photo of my wife. she put on some lip stick...some kind of wild violetlpurple color i think....and her robe was blue as well.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bidegain View Post
    I think the question will be how well the flash tubes are corrected for UV. If they have an effective UV coating you may not go far in exposing a collodion emulsion. I would be interested to hear if you give it a try.

Ray
    Hello Ray,, UV protection glass dome is fitted around the flash tube and modeling bulb.. I'll be sure to post any results

using the 12x16" softbox
    What's the shock wave like?

So at ISO 0.7 you'd at f/4 +6/10's and let's add in a stop for bellows extension and you're around f/3.5 or so. But what about the spectrum of the lights? I'd guess another stop would be lost due to the restricted UV/blue sensitivity...so f/2.5ish.

Lose the softbox and they might be enough to approach one pop at f/4, assuming the lights pass UV.

I may be building one of those fluorescent banks after all.

Regardless of the source, I might suggest gelling the lights and filtering all the long wavelengths out when doing portraits because that light isn't affecting the plate, but it is adding to the intensity and discomfort the sitter feels.

Joe