Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice about old and sticky wood film holders

Advice about old and sticky wood film holders

Hello,

In 13x18 cm I have a nice wood camera from Ica, called Excelsior. I don't use it frequently and the slides on film holders are sticky. As the whole thing is fragile I don't want to apply force on them. Any tips about how to reduce friction wood x wood and make them run in and out smoothly? I am looking for a harmless solution, clean and discrete, considering the age and beauty of the camera.

Rgds

Wagner

Re: Advice about old and sticky wood film holders

Wagner, I have on occassion rubbed a little bit of candle wax along the track where wood meets wood. I have found this makes a differance and it slides easy
    cheers
    Andrew

cake soap, like ivory

The cause can be low humidity which dries out the wood, esp. if you have central heating.
    Candle wax is a great help, so is bee'swax for fornuture (Ikea).

Peter

I find good old Johnsons Foor Wax paste works wonders on sticky darkslides. I rub a coat on then buff both sides of dark slide with a soft towel. Almost every country should have "generic" floor wax paste available.

Dave Karp

Someone on this forum once recommended rubbing the edges of the darkslide with dryer sheets. I have tried it on plastic modern 4x5 holders, old wooden 5x7 holders, and old wooden Eastman whole plate film and plate holders. Works great. All slide much easier now.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Someone on this forum once recommended rubbing the edges of the darkslide with dryer sheets. I have tried it on plastic modern 4x5 holders, old wooden 5x7 holders, and old wooden Eastman whole plate film and plate holders. Works great. All slide much easier now.
    Cool Dave. I can't wait to try that. I've used Carnuba Wax but this sounds cleaner. Plus my wife will be so pleased when she reaches for a sheet and they're all gone

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    . . . Plus my wife will be so pleased when she reaches for a sheet and they're all gone
    I just had to replace a box of those things when I used the last couple the other day! The store brands work just as well on darkslides as the brand names.

You see, some fellow hooked me into this 5x7 thing, and I purchased a few extra holders recently. The dryer sheets worked great!

Dave Karp

Oh yeah, I know another photographer who uses a Teflon spray. He sprays some on the slide and wipes it down with a rag. I was going to try this, but the dryer sheets were less expensive, and seem to work fine.

I use Lemon Pledge furniture polish. The generic version. Works wonders. I always smooth the edges of the slides first.