Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Website design and the slow lane

Talking Re: Website design and the slow lane

Quote Originally Posted by David_Senesac View Post
    If one has the money to buy one of my prints then they probably can afford broadband.
    I can only hope that others understand that there are those of us who can afford broadband - indeed might even be able to afford one of your prints - but get the privilege, for part of the year, of living with dial-up.

I did kind of assume, largely borne out by subsequent posts, that people would pick up on a tone of bemusement in the post that started this thread. In part, the idea was to see whether there are others who are technologically disadvantaged, and provide an opportunity for commiseration

I hadn't anticipated that someone would suggest, by virtue of the fact that I live out in the sticks for several months a year, that I don't have the money to buy their prints, and that I am for that reason irrelevant

Right now. I'm replying to you on a Blackberry, which might suggest that I am not entirely destitute, but I can assure you that come May I will be in a place, for several months, where my Blackberry won't work unless I get in my car and drive a couple of miles to a very specific spot. I will admit that this is a disadvantage of living in a valley with an Atlantic Salmon river at the end of one's front lawn.

Cheers

Re: Website design and the slow lane

I just had a chance for the first time to look at David's images, which are well-executed, unpretentious, and beautiful.

David, I had a sudden urge to ask bensyverson to design a web site for you. The combination would be a category killer for classic color landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
    You can still have good design and best practices.
    Here is a site I designed that features large photos, and rollovers for navigation. There's no Javascript, and it works in every browser
    Yeah, I'm late for the show here. I wandered into this thread and have a small technical point with the above Website and comment. First, the Website doesn't really use rollover, as list of the sublinks don't expand on the same Web page, but goes to an new Web page with the expanded list. And second, the mouseover effect doesn't require javascript to work, it uses the "div" coding, unless it's used with images where you have to preload them. And both rollover and mouseover are W3C standards.

As for Google analytics, it's been discussed ad nausem on another thread. It harmless and you can look at your cookie file to see 3-4 cookies, utma, utmb, utmc and utmz. Those are the cookies the analytics uses for that Webpage.

I love the design of the Website and the products (cool ideas). Thanks.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Noordewier View Post
    David, I had a sudden urge to ask bensyverson to design a web site for you. The combination would be a category killer for classic color landscape.
    Ha -- I'm flattered, Mick! David's images are very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    I love the design of the Website and the products (cool ideas). Thanks.
    Thank you so much, Scott! And you're right, the rollovers are CSS and sprite-based, so they don't use Javascript. It means that the rollovers won't work in ancient browsers (earlier than IE 5), but those browsers generally don't support CSS, so the site will look totally different anyway.