Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iris Universal Lens Mounts - who, where?

Re: Iris Universal Lens Mounts - who, where?

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Thanks all, the reason I was asking was I'm gathering preliminary data for possible manufacturing. I didn't realize there was an Italian make too. I need another sample because I am getting a mfg cost analysis done, as I have some overseas contacts that may be able to mfg them. So far, the problem seems to be scale, the mfg's want an order of as many as 1000. But even if I got just 500, I'd be stuck with about 450 of them!

Paul's idea of placing orders with deposit before mfg might work. I'm on a guitar board and they did just that, setting up a special guitar just for forum members. Developing....
    i have a few of these and the design that eddie shows is the simplest. well worth looking into imho.

There is obviously a market for these that is greater than the supply of used ones. I think particularly one that is bigger than the average one would be very desirable for those that like to shoot with 19th century lenses. I have many lenses that will not fit in my "more-or-less" standard size iris mount.

Should anyone proceed on making these, I have a suggestion. Keep the opening and locking controls protruding as little as possible. This would allow holding some lenses in shutters that can't be done on most of the existing designs.

LJ Segil

Perhaps two, one to fit a 4x4" board for smaller lenses and a second for 6x6" honkers.
    LJS

Quote Originally Posted by ljsegil View Post
    Perhaps two, one to fit a 4x4" board for smaller lenses and a second for 6x6" honkers.
    LJS
    I would be interested in one of both if available.

All depends on price. If it costs more than an extortionate vintage piece, then I don't want one, if they are reasonable price then I'd probably want at least two.

if produced i am going to guess they will sell at about $400, possibly more. i am thinking the mid sized 3.5-4 inch opening. more for bigger sizes. i ma willing to guess that bigger sizes will have less demand as they will not fit on "small" (less than 6x6) boards.

i would guess that anything new would never be cheaper than the used market.....why? it has been shown that peopel are willing to pay 350+.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

HURRY fee bay has one for $300 BIN!

QUICK!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Well, we can still find used the medium size..what I want is one to fit the 6" to 8" lensboard to take the big old Petzvals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Well, we can still find used the medium size..what I want is one to fit the 6" to 8" lensboard to take the big old Petzvals.
    i agree. but from a manufacturing stand point i would guess the demand for something like that to be fairly small. most people do not have cameras that can handle 8x8 and 9x9 boards and these 8x10+ petzvals. that lack of demand may cause the price to go up to cover the cost of selling less.

remember if these big babies get too expensive we could all just have flanges made for our big brass i mean how many do "you" really have? if the new big universal irises were $600+ that is a lot of flanges that could be made. me personally i only need one or two flanges for my big guys......so it would be better if i just had them made. i mean do not get me wrong....it would be nice not to have t remove the flange from one board and put it on another (i have an 8x8 dorff and a 9x9 century that can handle the biggies). but for 600-700 dollars i can switch the flanges for several years before it cuts into my labor fees.....

FWIW.

eddie

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery