Page 39 of 86 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your home made camera...

Re: Show us your home made camera...

Camera finished (for now, untill I find the right technique with good access ingredients and chemicals)
    I've got a DIY mechanical iris, but it's not acurate enough. I think I'm going to go for waterhouse aperture.

Steven Scanner look forward to the shots from this camera
    Questions and comments are always welcome

http://http://www.galerie-photo.com/...egere-4x5.html

Hello

Any one speaks French?

I just want to know how the metalic (or plastic?) part which connects the lens to the body was made.

Thank you.

Koo Young

Quote Originally Posted by kooyoungchung View Post
    http://http://www.galerie-photo.com/...egere-4x5.html

Hello

Any one speaks French?

I just want to know how the metalic (or plastic?) part which connects the lens to the body was made.

Thank you.

Koo Young
    I'd help, but the link is dead.

Peter

I can't help with the op's question, but the link is dead because of the double http//
    copy the link with only one instance of it and the page opens.
    http://www.galerie-photo.com/chambre-legere-4x5.html

Peter

It looks like the cone from the Polaroid camera was used rather than something being made for the purpose..

Steve.

Thank you,Peter and Steve.

Wow, some stunning camera's in this thread. I recently bought a Linhof Kardan Super Color ST, mainly for the accessories, but i'm planning to use some parts for a DIY-project. After an evening of playing with Google Sketchup, i came up with this camera. The black part is the rotating back from the Linhof, the brown part is ofcourse wood. The lens is supposed to be something like a 75mm, the focus should be on infinity from f/11 onwards. There is some room for shifting the lens. Please, if anyone has some useful tips, i would love to hear. It would be my very first self-built camera =). I want to used mainly for landscapes during traveling, when my technika is to big and heavy and not flexible enough with shift + wide angle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera01.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	74397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera02.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	74398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera03.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	74399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera04.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	74400

joseph

I can only comment on this from my own experience; the beauty of making something yourself is that it can be whatever you want it to be.

Taking your comment about the weight of the Technika-
    the weight and bulk of this camera could be reduced by discarding the revolving back. I know it's tempting to have a precision component, including a ready made focusing screen, but this comes at a significant cost if the aim is weight reduction, and I assume, bulk reduction.

All that's needed to hold a holder is a recess, and some way to make sure it doesn't fall out. This is the strategy employed on Ben's proposed lightweight Wanderlust camera, and others. A focusing screen can be made to slide in the recess, if you need it. A lightweight camera can be tilted on a tripod head without any problem, so the benefit of a rotating back on a lightweight camera is marginal.

Many will say that focusing is unnecessary on a wide angle point and shoot, I suppose what they mean is that it's unnecessary for them, considering the pictures they plan to be able to make. A 75mm lens might be short for 4x5, but not being able to focus it will impose limits on how close you can get to a foreground. Again, it's down to the pictures you plan to make, but there might come a time when you'd like to get within two feet of something, without needing to achieve infinity focus. That picture might not be available to you.

You might want to build in some method of ensuring the parallelism of the lens, of being able to fine tune the lens to be axial to the film. Shorter lenses have smaller depth of focus, and very slight tilts can be very noticeable. It's possible that making a two part lens board might be better than relying on your sliding board to be parallel to begin with- by being able to shim the front board in relation to the sliding board. It might also help with fine tuning your focus, whether you opt for hyperfocal or infinity.

I see you have a handle attached- I don't know whether you plan on shooting hand held, or whether it's for carrying it about. Some sort of strap might be another option, since it doesn't take up as much space, and can be folded into the camera for packing. Although I have shot handheld, the larger super wide cameras benefit from being used on a tripod, the same as any other camera. Especially with fixed focus, you're not likely to be shooting street, and you will probably be stopping down quite a bit.

Good luck with your camera, like I said, it's your camera, so it can be whatever you want it to be-

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    I can only comment on this from my own experience; the beauty of making something yourself is that it can be whatever you want it to be.

Taking your comment about the weight of the Technika-
    the weight and bulk of this camera could be reduced by discarding the revolving back. I know it's tempting to have a precision component, including a ready made focusing screen, but this comes at a significant cost if the aim is weight reduction, and I assume, bulk reduction.

All that's needed to hold a holder is a recess, and some way to make sure it doesn't fall out. This is the strategy employed on Ben's proposed lightweight Wanderlust camera, and others. A focusing screen can be made to slide in the recess, if you need it. A lightweight camera can be tilted on a tripod head without any problem, so the benefit of a rotating back on a lightweight camera is marginal.

Many will say that focusing is unnecessary on a wide angle point and shoot, I suppose what they mean is that it's unnecessary for them, considering the pictures they plan to be able to make. A 75mm lens might be short for 4x5, but not being able to focus it will impose limits on how close you can get to a foreground. Again, it's down to the pictures you plan to make, but there might come a time when you'd like to get within two feet of something, without needing to achieve infinity focus. That picture might not be available to you.

You might want to build in some method of ensuring the parallelism of the lens, of being able to fine tune the lens to be axial to the film. Shorter lenses have smaller depth of focus, and very slight tilts can be very noticeable. It's possible that making a two part lens board might be better than relying on your sliding board to be parallel to begin with- by being able to shim the front board in relation to the sliding board. It might also help with fine tuning your focus, whether you opt for hyperfocal or infinity.

I see you have a handle attached- I don't know whether you plan on shooting hand held, or whether it's for carrying it about. Some sort of strap might be another option, since it doesn't take up as much space, and can be folded into the camera for packing. Although I have shot handheld, the larger super wide cameras benefit from being used on a tripod, the same as any other camera. Especially with fixed focus, you're not likely to be shooting street, and you will probably be stopping down quite a bit.

Good luck with your camera, like I said, it's your camera, so it can be whatever you want it to be-

My homemade camera is fixed focus, but the lens is a 47mm XL, so, it works fine, the lens has great DOF. I'm designing a new camera, for a SA 65mm but I'm having a lot of hard time trying to find a cheap way of doing a focusing system for it, do you have any ideas? Thanks.