• Schneider Super-Angulon Classic 90mm/6.8

9 22.50%
  • Neither

16 40.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting out - Rodenstock or Schneider 90mm

Starting out - Rodenstock or Schneider 90mm

Hi,

Just starting out in LF. Have a Chamonix 045n-1 on order and now looking around for lenses. I want a 90mm lens for landscapes. Not too expensive, not too heavy but, as this will be my main lens I'd prefer to invest in a keeper rather than a 'just make do' lens.

As most of my work will be landscapes at f/22 or abouts I don't need a super fast lens. This has lead me to 6.8 as a good compromise between potentially hard to focus f/8's and heavy f/5.6's or 4.5's (comments on this welcome - am I being paranoid about focusing f/8's ?).

Looking around I see the 2 best contenders in this space as the Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90/6.8 or Schneider Super-Angulon Classic 90mm/6.8. Would appreciate any insight into these two lenses and how they compare to each other. Is the Schneider worth the extra dollars?

Re: Starting out - Rodenstock or Schneider 90mm

The reason why a 90 is hard to focus is that the rays are concentrated in the center of the fresnel (if your camera has one). You have to move around a bit to see clearly in the corners. I have several f8 lenses, and none of them are hard to focus in the center, even in low light. Now, soft focus lenses - they are truly hard to focus.

Octogenarian

For outdoor photography, you are being paranoid about f8 wide angle lenses.

I have never had a problem composing or focusing an f8 lens outside in the daylight.

The Nikkor f8 90SW throws a 235mm image circle. Hard to beat.

Schneider and Rodenstock lenses are equal in quality.

A 90 wide angle is not necessarily the ideal first lens for landscape photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    For outdoor photography, you are being paranoid about f8 wide angle lenses.

I have never had a problem composing or focusing an f8 lens outside in the daylight.
    Most of my shots are dawn or dusk - so fairly low light. Does this make a difference to using an f/8 lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    A 90 wide angle is not necessarily the ideal first lens for landscape photography.
    Gem, what other focal lengths would you recommend?

Octogenarian

In low light, you are correct. An f8 lens will be more difficult to compose and focus than a faster lens.

Check out the Nikkor f4.5 90SW. It also throws a 235mm image circle. It's one of the brightest 90's out there.

My first choice for landscape photography would be a 135 - 180 "normal" lens. You can always add a shorter and/or a longer lens after you have made a few images and determined your personal preference.

There's quite a difference in the look between lenses for the 35mm and 4X5 formats.

Yes, very hard to focus in dim light. I have had an f8, f6.8 and an f4.5 90mm. I would never go back to the slower 90mm lenses. I do a great deal of interiors and sunsets. Even with a 8x focusing loupe, it was very difficult to see the screen edges.
    You get what you pay for!!!
    I have been in this business for over 30 years. You can take this statement to the bank !!!

Take care,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by msbc View Post
    Most of my shots are dawn or dusk - so fairly low light. Does this make a difference to using an f/8 lens?

Gem, what other focal lengths would you recommend?

I've never had a problem composing with or focusing the 90mm Nikon SW f8. The image circle of the Nikon may provide you with a greater advantage; you won't need to tilt a 90mm much for landscape work, but the extra rise or fall can certainly come in handy.

My first LF lens was a Fuji 240mm, quickly followed by the Nikon 90mm. I didn't find the 90mm particularly difficult to work with, but then and now it is my least used lens. I shoot only landscapes and use my 150mm far more often than my 90mm or 110mm lenses.

You may find that an after market ground glass will help more than a faster lens.

Welcome to the forum.

Although a 90mm may not be the first choice for a landscape lens, it can be useful in certain settings, for example a near-far sunset or sunrise depending on the foreground object. The attached sunset was done using the Schneider 110mm SS XL. It's a nice sunset/sunrise lens because it seems very flare resistant, a surprise given all the glass in it.

Cheers, Steve

Sweet shot!

Thanks Eric!

Cheers, Steve