Thread: Projection Lens

Projection Lens

This creature may be a Petzval. I removed the elements from the barrel and stuck them in my Polaroid Copal #1. The spacing between the two optical cells in the barrel is not so great so I figured it might form a image I could focus set into the Copal.
    The rear cell screwed in the rear of the shutter OK, but the front cell.......
    As you can see I used a rubber band.

The lens is approximately 80mm, no idea of speed, perhaps f2.8.
    If the beast is actually a Petzval, what sorts of scene will show the swirly effect best?
    I have taken some shots, which will have to be processed before I know what I have got here.

Re: Projection Lens

It looks like it may be the front cell of a triplet projection lens from your photo, but it's hard to tell without seeing more images. Shoot a photo of the sky filtered by dense trees or foliage and you'll see the swirl if it's there.

The barrel was chromed, which makes me wonder if it may be too modern to be the Petzval type.
    The scene has to be back-lit to get the swirl effect? Or is the contrast difference something to do with it. If I am doing a shot of back-lit trees I would probably be running at the max 125th exposure of the Copal Press #1 to eliminate branch movement due to wind.

A lot of projection Petzvals have chromed barrels and black painted cells. If you have one cell with two air-spaced elements and one cell with two elements cemented together--it's a Petzval. If that front cell has two widely spaced elements and the rear cell only has a single element--it's a triplet.

A scene with a lot of small bright highlights makes it easy to see the lens aberrations at the edge of the frame.

This is a quick n dirty scan off a T400 CN negative, not the most contrasty of materials or it could be the lens.
    Do look at that back-lit tree. Definitely worthy of further investigation.
    Preferably with a ND filter as well, because the Polaroid Copal has no iris.