Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is large format to your sales?

How important is large format to your sales?

Hi All.

Aside from the technical and quality issues just wondering if others market their work with an empahsis on that it was created using large format or not?

This question came to mind after I attended a mini art fair last week. This was the first time I had tried to sell any of my work, and contrary to what I expected I did very well. I sold several mounted and one framed print with a lot of favourable comments on the quality of the work.

However nobody seemed very interested that it was created using film and large format, I think most people assumed it was good digital work and when I talked to them about the process they just glazed over and didnt seem interested. I guess it makes no odds, if they like the work fantastic, just that I expected the fact that it was large format to add a dimension to the sales.

So just wondering what do others do? do you push the large format thing or just not bother mentioning it?

Thanks

Julian

http://www.photohome.uku.co.uk/

Re: How important is large format to your sales?

Nope. People could care less. What they do comment on is the sharpness, color, and tonality. I think that's what often makes prints stand out. There's a subconscious thing about the look. It kind of goes along with the debate over the type of print media used too. The vast majority of consumers just don't care. I think BRIEFLY explaining that you use film is important to some as educating the public will help the cause. I've never had anyone ask if I used a digicam though.

Your experience does not surprise me. Of the prints that I have sold over the years, be they to individuals or institutions, I can not recall anyone being overly concerned with process. This seems to be more a topic of interest to other photographers.

You have some fine work to show, and an easy site to navigate. Hope your upcoming exhibit is a grand success!

I have tried to push the LF angle, or any other marketing angle for that matter; anything to con people into finding interest in my images. It hasn't worked. I am considering offering a free toaster with every purchase. The idea with pushing the LF attribute is to appear like you can do things they can't or wouldn't be interested in doing. That's the whole weak link with photography, the layman looking at your photographs also takes photographs themselves. Nevermind the aesthetics or technical details, they also take photographs. This is much more rarely the case with painting or other from-scratch art forms. But ultimately all that matters is what the thing looks like.

People don't know to ask and oftentimes have no idea what the term LF camera even means. If its important to you explaining your work, try working it into discussions at exhibits by bringing the camera along or put up a bio with an image of you with the camera. That way it doesn't come off as some sales pitch but comes up naturally. I guarantee some people will find it interesting if only the photographers that show up.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I noticed in the galleries of Fatali and Rodney Lough a nice 8x10 was on display on a tripod.

As for myself, it does happen that some customers (both print and licenses) require LF, but they are fairly rare.

oh no, the F word!

I agree with Kirk. The vast majority of people attending an art fair have zero awareness that LF even exists, much less why they should care that you used it.

The people at these shows only care about if they are moved by your work or not. Having several pieces of compelling work on display is vital to convince them that you are a legitimate skilled photographer (not just some guy who got lucky once or twice) and therefore worthy of plunking down some hard earned cash in order to take one of your photos home.

Having a LF camera on site with a LF slide or negative to hold might help get them more interested.

I mention that I sometimes use ancient lenses, but beyond that I don't say anything about gear. In commercial photography, the images mean much more than how they were created, or what gear was used.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

My mom cares. She tells are her guests that that print over there above the fireplace was made with a large format camera and then begins to explain. Ah me mum...me greatest fan.
    I think you would have more effect on a customer is you say that the work was created traditionally...using film.