Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty focusing with rear tilt

Difficulty focusing with rear tilt

Took out my fairly new and first 4x5 camera and wanted to take a shot slightly distorting the foreground. Once the camera was level and everything in its neutral position, I tilted the film plane back until the foreground looked good and sharp. I had a 150 mm lens which was opened up all the way.
    I then tilted the lens slightly forward until the background was sharp, but of course the foreground was now not sharp. And so it went on, and on and on. Any adjustment to one put out the other. I was also playing with the focusing knob to no avail.
    I stopped down to f/22 which helped, but still could not get both as sharp as I think is possible. I could not see well at f/32 even with a loupe.
    Do you guys have a regimen you follow to get sharpness using rear titls? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Re: Difficulty focusing with rear tilt

You tilted the lens the wrong way.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

First, I almost always focus with my lens wide open. Focus first on the most distant part of the scene that you want to be in focus, this usually means focusing the very bottom of the screen. Then tilt backwards until the foreground comes into focus. This will of course through the rear part of the scene out of focus. Then use the focus knob to once again re-focus the background of the scene. As expected, this will usually through the foreground out of focus again, but not by as much as before. Once again, tilt the rear standand backwards just enough to regain focus in your foreground. Just keep doing this, usually 2 complete run through's is enough and the scene will be all in focus. Now just stop down to get the middle ground into focus and you're ready to shoot!

Adam Kavalunas
    www.plateauvisions.com

I forgot to mention, my focus method never mentions touching the front standard. To my recolection, I've never used front tilt or swing, just rise and fall. I prefer to keep my image circle as centered as possible, and therefore only use tilts and swings on the rear standard.

First of all are you sure that you didn't tilt the lens beyond its coverage range. I assume you tilted the front standard so that the top of the board is closest to the film plane placing the distant scene elements in focus at the bottom of the film plane and the near scene elements in focus at the top of the film plane. That alone should suffice to produce a wholly in focus plane from near to far using the focusing and tilt function sequentially while keeping the back standard vertical. But remember only the Scheimpflug plane will be in perfect focus- any objects projecting out of that plane in a vertical direction will be out of focus at maximum aperture. Stop the lens down to obtain a sharper focus on the out of plane objects. As mentioned above you could tilt only the back plane to achieve the Scheimpflug condition and that has the advantage that the optical axis remains in the center of the film, eliminating the coverage issue.

I can't quite figure out why you would want to tilt both front and rear standard unless you are trying for some additional perspective correction.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Kavalunas View Post
    I forgot to mention, my focus method never mentions touching the front standard. .
    Thanks very much. Don't know why I thought I had to mess with the front standard in the first place, Thats why I ask you guys. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Kavalunas View Post
    Now just stop down to get the middle ground into focus and you're ready to shoot!

Adam Kavalunas
    www.plateauvisions.com
    So I should expect to get the near and far into focus, not the middle? Makes sense now.

Go to the home page for this site. You'll see a heading called "Taking the Picture." Under that heading you'll see two articles by Tuan, one called something like "Focusing the View Camera," the other something like "Determining the Optimum Aperture." Read them and then use them. They'll make your large format life much more enjoyable and if you apply them properly you'll never have an out of focus photograph or a photograph that lacks the depth of field needed to make the photograph you wanted to make.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    So I should expect to get the near and far into focus, not the middle? Makes sense now.
    The middle ground will be in focus if it's in the same plane as the foreground and background. If not, you'll have to bring it into focus by increasing depth of field.

And also don't forget that the same procedure works from side to side as well.

Thanks for all the responses. I got to shoot today using the advice posted, and my negs look very sharp. I was suprised at how little rear tilt was needed to achieve good focus.