Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand trip - advice needed

Re: Fiordland questions

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Hello again,

1)
    ... In principle it should be possible to reach the Deep Cove by car (unsealed road).
    Please note: You CANNOT reach Deep Cove by car (unless your car also doubles as a submarine). The unsealed road between the West Arm of Lake Manapouri (where the power house is situated) and Deep Cove was built as part of the power station project. It does not connect with any other road. (All supplies to West Arm were barged in from Manapouri or came over the road from Deep Cove.)

2)
    We will probably visit also the Milford Sound, though I expect this place to be rather full and that is not what I am after - so we will probably only go for 1 day driving trip.
    Dont shortchange yourself on time for Milford Sound and environs. I could easily spend weeks on the road between Te Anau and Milford - there are many side trips/day walks/photographic opportunities that are worth exploring - and that's without spending time at Milford itself. Milford may be busy during the day (when all the tourist buses are on the scene) but you'll find it reasonably quiet after they depart (assuming you have your own campervan). And when the light is at its best for taking photos you may find yourself all alone ... :-)

One last word of advice: dont forget your insect repellant. The sandflies at Milford (well all of Fiordland actually) are amongst the most tenacious you will encounter ...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Re: New Zealand trip - advice needed

As odd as it sounds I have been to NZ three times (a year of uni in 1975, a 3-month and a 5.5 month trip) and I have not made it to Milford Sound. Got close in 1975 when I did a bit of tramping from the road going to Milford Sound to Lake Mackinsey on the Routeburn Track. I remember the view up the Hollyford Valley from the Routeburn Track (just above tree line) as one of the most spectacular views I have ever seen. It was mid-winter, no one was about, the weather cold but clear (until it snowed, anyway). Too bad it was a couple years before I started to photograph, but after 33 years, I still have a good mental picture of the Hollyford Valley.

But taking a day hike from the Milford Sound road up the Routeburn Track just beyond Lake Howden to Earland Falls would be a nice way to spend a day. It may be a bit of a climb...I don't remember it being too steep, but my legs were only 21 years old back then!

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    But taking a day hike from the Milford Sound road up the Routeburn Track just beyond Lake Howden to Earland Falls would be a nice way to spend a day. It may be a bit of a climb...I don't remember it being too steep, but my legs were only 21 years old back then!

Vaughn
    Another popular day walk (which could be combined with the visit to Earland Falls that Vaughn mentions) is the walk from the Divide carpark on the Milford Road up onto Key Summit. About 1.5hrs one way and spectacular 360 degree views from up above the bushline. Some pleasant tarns up there for relaxing in if its a hot day...

Yet another day walk nearby is up into Lake Marion from the Hollyford Valley road (you can actually see into Lake Marion from Key Summit). Lake Marion is in a hanging valley so its hard work going uphill to get there (again about 1.5hrs walking), but its all through NZ rainforest and the view of the lake and surrounding mountains when you arrive is something money cant buy ...

Cheers

- seabird -
    strange, according to the atlas I have (New Zealand South Island Atlas & Guide , from Hema) there should be an unsealed road from Monovai (20 - 30 km south from Manapouri), but it does not matter that much.

But we got attracted by a 2 day kayaking trip to Doubtful Sound or take an overnight boat cruise. Both is attractive. We will visit the Milford Sound and will make a few short hikes along the Milford Road. So it looks like 1 week in this area.

- Vaughn -
    thanks - those tracks look interesting indeed.

Questions about other reagons will pop up soon
    Matus

- seabird -
    strange, according to the atlas I have (New Zealand South Island Atlas & Guide , from Hema) there should be an unsealed road from Monovai (20 - 30 km south from Manapouri), but it does not matter that much.
    Hi Matus,

There is an unsealed road from Lake Monowai over the Borland Saddle that leads to the SOUTH (not West) Arm of Lake Manapouri. South Arm is a beautiful picnic spot, and the one place in NZ where I found the sandflies to be thicker than at Milford. The road is well formed, spectacular and worth journeying on if you have the time - there are many great photos waiting to be taken, particularly around Borland Saddle.

Just before you reach South Arm, another unsealed road heads off towards West Arm. I understand that this road was built as part of the power project and services the transmission lines coming out from the West Arm powerhouse. The road is not open to the public (although I always thought exploring it on mountain bikes could be fun). Moreover, I understand that there is also the small problem that the road from South Arm comes to a sudden end at the base of a pylon at a point where the transmission lines span a large chasm ... There is a corresponding road from the West Arm powerhouse to the pylon on the West Arm side of the chasm but access between the two pylons is ... err ... problematic. :-)

If you do venture into South Arm, then make sure you also visit Lakes Monowai and Hauroko.

If you want to spend time in Doubtful Sound (and if at all possible I'd highly recommend that you do) then access by boat from the sea will be by far the most flexible. But note that this is an extemely rugged seacoast and landscape with highly changeable weather - not a venture to be undertaken lightly or by the inexperienced.

It sounds like you are planning a great trip. I'm envious (and thinking it might be time to return to some of thse old haunts...)

Cheers

mobile phone

Thanks. Yes - I already figured out that it is indeed not possible accessing the Deep Cove by car and now I do not see a need for it anyhow.

However - we will visit the Deep Cove and we are considering a 2 day kayaking trip (guided) or overnight cruise with a small boat (with fishing!)

One important question: We will indeed buy s SIM card to be able to make a phone call if necessary - but how is the New Zealand covered - does one gets signal everywhere or only close to cities ?
    Matus

Re: mobile phone

Thanks. Yes - I already figured out that it is indeed not possible accessing the Deep Cove by car and now I do not see a need for it anyhow.

However - we will visit the Deep Cove and we are considering a 2 day kayaking trip (guided) or overnight cruise with a small boat (with fishing!)

One important question: We will indeed buy s SIM card to be able to make a phone call if necessary - but how is the New Zealand covered - does one gets signal everywhere or only close to cities ?
    Only coverage near towns and cities mostly, I use global roaming which is an expensive option but you can buy pre paid from just about anywhere which is cheaper.

Chris.

One more question. A special one :-)

I wanted to bring along (in my checked-in luggage) a outdoor knife (like 10 - 12 cm blade) to wear on the belt - something I do take along when doing trips in mountains. It is allowed here in Germany (blades up to 12 cm). However the official NZ webpage that informs what is allowed to import states that only "collapsible" knives with blades up to 10 cm are allowed. What is your experience? I would leave it home if that should be a problem ...
    Matus

From http://www.police.govt.nz/service/fi...importing.html

Any knife (excluding folding pocket knife with blade less than 10cm) that is designed for easy concealment on the body, or has a double-edged blade designed for stabbing/throwing, or any knife known as ‘urban skinner, terminator, black eagle, black dagger, throwing knife’.

I read that a meaning that a belt knife -- not designed for concealment -- should be fine. But it might be worthwhile calling the nearest NZ embassy and asking for clairification.

But one should always be carried to fend off attacks by the vicious South Island Kiwi, and the more dangerous Killer Kea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW0G-...eature=related

Vaughn

One more question. A special one :-)

I wanted to bring along (in my checked-in luggage) a outdoor knife (like 10 - 12 cm blade) to wear on the belt - something I do take along when doing trips in mountains. It is allowed here in Germany (blades up to 12 cm). However the official NZ webpage that informs what is allowed to import states that only "collapsible" knives with blades up to 10 cm are allowed. What is your experience? I would leave it home if that should be a problem ...
    bring it! no worries....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery