Thread: A bad day of shooting, or, where can I buy replacement tripod parts?

A bad day of shooting, or, where can I buy replacement tripod parts?

Well,

I think I found a new way to screw-up the LF experience today. I was shooting some trees in the fog, and the temperature was around 6 degrees F. When I stood in front of the camera to set the aperture and shutter, I accidentally breathed on the lens and didn't notice until a few sheets later. I can only hope the lens condensation adds an ethereal feel to the final print.

Also in the process of getting these shots I managed to not only lose one of the rubber feet from my Bogen 3021 tripod, but I also managed to bust one of the leg locks (on the base) that keeps the legs from spreading out too far. Does anyone know if Bogen sells replacement parts, or am I out of luck?

Thanks.

Re: A bad day of shooting, or, where can I buy replacement tripod parts?

A balmy 6 degrees, eh. man you guys sure have it easy.

as in easy decison to move way down south !

I contacted Bogen via an email I found on their website and received a parts list and pricing for 3001 tripod parts in a couple days. Their parts service and sales was excellent. As for the rubber foot, I found that rubber caps for chair legs often work well, and can be found at your local hardware store.

B&H Photo in New York also sells (or at least use to) Bogen parts.

I had the opposite lens trouble this week-end. There was actually sun shining on my bellows and that caused steam to form on the back surface of my lens. Fortunately I am use to that happening whenever I go away from Humboldt County to a place that has sunshine (it just happens so rarely at home)...and when the image thrown on my GG gets all soft and fuzzy, and it is not caused by my breath on the GG, I know to take the lensboard and the camera back off and let the moisture out.

Vaughn

I've dealt with Bogen service/parts several times, they've been very responsive. I'd suggest calling and ordering the parts from them.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I had the saame thing happen shooting a summer sunrise in the Smokies, only fog was blowing up a valley to my location. The lens was clear when I put it on the camera, but the fog did what fog does; it fogged it. My film was a nice even yellowish orange corner to corner with no detail whatever. Learned to keep the lenscap on the lens until I actually made the exposure,

Cheers

Steve

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

If you want replacement feet for your Bogen, just go to Home Depot or a similar store and buy rubber feet in the feet and cap section. Just ask a worker if you can't find them- they're the feet for crutches, chair legs, and similar things. I believe my Bogen 3021 has the 3/4 inch diameter size, but measure ahead of time to be sure. The feet are a little over a dollar for a set of four- much less than Bogen will charge. They're also made of much softer rubber, so they really grip rock and other rough surfaces and keep your tripod anchored in place. Once you try them you'll never want to go back to the plastic ruber ones that come as stock.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Bogen does a very brisk business selling replacement parts for their tripods. I have ordered several leg locks and assorted odds and ends. They aren't cheap but they have what you need!

rb

I "lost" a rubber tripod foot in Greece (there was a fence, a dog and an angry custodian involved) and when I called Bogen to get a part number they just shipped me several (even though I had just lost one) for free.