Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best winter apparel?

Re: Best winter apparel?

I also discovered a brand of socks called "SmartWool" that wear like iron but are ultra soft and warm; beneath them, I wear a thin liner sock that wicks away the moisture.

I picked up a pair of flannel-lined LL Bean jeans, which I wear over silk long underwear. Toasty.
    Mike

Flip flops, shorts, and t-shirts...we've been having an unseasonably warm spell this week...close to 90's...now we're in the high 70's..very weird.

The Winter Boots I ever had was the ones my Son Gave me Air Force Muck Alucks , Dam I wish I could find some now for this darn snow!
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned that I'd add is those warming packs you can get. They're useful for feet if it's severely cold, and they're useful for hands even in moderate cold.

And, perhaps, a pair of snowshoes... they can help you get to where you want to go without exhausting yourself.

I used sailing gloves for years (just the very ends of the fingers exposed, unlike most fingerless gloves). Last year my wife bought me a pair of heavy, dense fleece fingerless gloves from Patagonia. They expose a bit more of my fingers (but still not as much as regular fingerless gloves), but they also have a long gauntlet that goes over a sleeve. Very warm and very LF friendly! Here's a link:

http://www.7daysoutdoors.com/index.a...PROD&ProdID=65

Hey all,

We can get some pretty cold weather in the upper midwest (-29F air temp last week) and over time I have found some things that seem to work for me. Hands-I use thin undergloves (at most ski shops) under fly fishing mittens that will fold back and expose 1/2 finger gloves, I use Simms brand but Patagonia and Cabella's sell them also. In really cold weather a warm pack helps. Feet-I have a pair of Rocky hunting boots with thinsulate and along with merino wool socks my feet rarely get cold. I imagine you could use heat packs in your boots also. The ice fishermen around here use the disposable heat packs a lot.
    Long underwear of the wicking variety and a few thin layers can really keep you warm in really cold weather. Now, if I could just get a defroster for my ground glass.....

BTW...Anyone that goes out in the cold and wades through hip deep snow lugging a large camera. tripod, and other gear shouldn't throw stones...BUT...These guys that walk out on the ice, drill a hole in it, and then sit on a 5 gallon bucket waiting for a fish to bite really can't be right

Dick Petersen
    Clinton, Iowa

A couple of pieces I really like for winter-

North Face Redpoint Optimus jacket. Mid weight Primaloft insulation jacket. Warm and has a great hood (one of best ever used) and I have used it with layers in -25 temps. As a bonus the pockets are big enough to slip in a QUICKLOAD holder! My favorite winter piece.

North face DIAD shell. Rainjacket packs up about the size of a paperback. Fits in a lens pocket in my LowePro Pack.

Mountain Hardware Monkeyman Pullover. Plush and warm for when temps drop. Like all regular fleece it blocks no wind so you need a shell.

Manzella Next to Skin Shell gloves. Great lightweight gloves for mild temps. Still give good dexterity.

If you are interested in good quality winter gear check out the Patagonia web specials. They make the MARS equipment and have it at listed on sale at great prices (for Patagonia) but because it is Military issue it is all green. Like a DAS Parka for $75 or an R2 jacket for $55.

http://www.patagonia.com/usa/product...&ws=true&ln=41
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

In November, I decided by a new winter coat. Purchased a Canada Goose Expedition Parka. It was expensive, but also far and away the best winter coat that I've ever owned. While in New York a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a number of people wearing Canada Goose coats of one kind or another. I guess that they're becoming trendy. Trendy or not, they are wonderful: www.canada-goose.com

Quote Originally Posted by shmoo View Post
    Flip flops, shorts, and t-shirts...we've been having an unseasonably warm spell this week...close to 90's...now we're in the high 70's..very weird.

I'm with you Schmoo, I was under the OB pier this weekend shooting and I was wearing shorts, an aloha shirt, and flip flops. As the Sun set, I did have to don a hat, though.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    In November, I decided by a new winter coat. Purchased a Canada Goose Expedition Parka. It was expensive, but also far and away the best winter coat that I've ever owned. While in New York a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a number of people wearing Canada Goose coats of one kind or another. I guess that they're becoming trendy. Trendy or not, they are wonderful: www.canada-goose.com
    about ten years ago I bought a down filled parka here in Canada at the TSC store (a farm supply retail chain). Plain black, rather dull looking,b ut warmest coat I have ever worn. Back then the name was "Golden Goose", made in Canada, makes me wonder if it is the same company? But back to the point, yes, a goose down filled winter jacket is incredibly warm, especially if you dress in layers underneath.

As for winter underwear, Stanfield's wool mix winter long johns and undershirts are unbeatable. Wool keeps you warm even if it gets wet. Wool socks too, or a wool mix. Highly reccomended.

Keep your head warm too.
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?