Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom soundsystem

Darkroom soundsystem

I have been doing some minor construction in my darkroom and have not been developing or printing. I had a little water problem when the 3 year old put the whole roll of toilet paper in the toilet right above the darkroom. Wow, an overflowing toilet is really a mess. A LOT of water comes up and over! Luckily I keep trash bags over the 4x5 enlargers to keep the dust off. This also kept the water off! I cleaned it all up quickly and fired up the de-humidifier, blow dryer and a space heater. Things dried up very quickly and there was no damage.

Because I had everything moved out of the way I decided to paint some of the walls and install a sound system.

I have been restoring my vintage audio gear (and hanging out at AudioKarma.org). Just like you can't have too many cameras, you also can't have too many HiFi amplifiers. I decided to put one of them to work in the darkroom.

Eric Woodbury

Re: Darkroom soundsystem

Looks good. If you do film in there, you need a black curtain in front or black tape over all the lights.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

That amp, BTW, is a Pioneer SA-800. The 1973 SA-800 price was $240 USD ( this translates to $1,177 today). I found a place that had NOS output transistors and replaced those and replaced some noisy preamp transistors. I did a few other component replacements and set the DC offset and bias and is sounds pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Looks good. If you do film in there, you need a black curtain in front or black tape over all the lights.
    Good point. I also had a Pioneer SA-6700 to use, but it has two meters that are green. I actually replaced the burned out bulbs and made new green filters for the bulbs out of rosco filter (the same green I use for split grade printing). This was to match the original exactly. I should have used some rosco RED!! (its kind of a pain; I'm not going to take it apart and re-do it)

Anyway I choose the SA-800 because its only light is the power indicator which is orange. Not sure if I'll keep that CD changer, but if I do, it gets a little mask over that display.

Looks really nice!

I bought a sweet little compact system for my new darkroom years ago. Then my pre-teenage son saw it.

Now I have an OK boom box. Does the job, but not luxurious.

Feel my envy! What do you listen to while dunking negatives?
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I have always had some sort of sound "system" in my various experiences with darkroom. When i was using a communal darkroom, I had Grundig portable radio. Eventually I had my own darkroom and I went through several incarnations of boom box to bookshelf setups...and now I have this big-ish bookshelf system that rattles everything if I crank it up too high.

The one bonus thing about plying music, specially with tape or CD's, was it sort of keeps track of time...but now I plug in my old ipod and let it "randomly" go though it many gigs of music.

I'm using a marantz 2285 with a pair of marantz 7 speakers

mike

I like to keep music in the darkroom, but I also find it distracting at times. My favorite is when there's a Braves game on the radio. Baseball on the radio can be better than baseball on TV.

I've got a pair of hand-me-down Infinities on the wall. The room is too small to place them properly.

I solved the "lights on the amplifier" problem by putting the stuff in a cabinet with doors. Works well. Rock on!

That looks great. the darkroom is a great place for vintage components.

I wonder if some red acetate filters would fit over the lights on the stereo by static?

I put my stereo in the adjacent workroom and have just the speakers in my darkroom. I was tempted to get nice big speakers, but I worried that the base might cause subtle, random vibration in my enlarger so I bought smaller speakers that still sound OK and I avoid the temptation to crank it up. I agree that sports on the radio is a good darkroom pastime. Breaks up the monotony of music and sometimes music is hypnotizing while rocking a tray in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    . . . I put my stereo in the adjacent workroom and have just the speakers in my darkroom. I was tempted to get nice big speakers, but I worried that the base might cause subtle, random vibration in my enlarger . . .
    That's a good point. Maybe I need to curb my base desires.

Halfway kidding, you could plug your stereo into your enlarging timer's safelight plug, so that the stereo turns off when you start the timer.