Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you recommend some Main Streets for me to shoot?

Can you recommend some Main Streets for me to shoot?

If you want to do Pittsburgh, do it quick before the local politicians rip down all the old buildings to put up city-financed over priced department stores.

Wow, this is exciting, I can't wait to get back on the road. Thanks to all for the suggestions so far. David, I know Northampton well, that's where my husband is from. It is indeed handsome and thriving, but visually I find it too dominated by cars. Of course, that will be the case in many places, and I'll have to work Early Sunday Morning like Hopper. On the other hand, Abbeville, SC is a 9-5 working town and the cars completely disappeared shortly after 5 PM, it was quite amazing. To another David: yes, I've been to Galena and that is a good one! I will definitely visit Chagrin Falls, OH, what a great name. I found Chillicothe, OH also very interesting.

Iowa freaks, you are right. The county seats with their fine courthouses are especially lovely.

James Norman, I will buy your book on Oregon Main Streets, thanks! I already have the Dover book on Main Streets, which has stupendous photographs.. They're not all "main streets," though. I plan to be fairly strict about what is considered a "main street." For example, in a large city like Pittsburgh or San Francisco, the street should either be called Main or be one of its two or three original main streets. Both Cincinnati and Philadelphia have gentrified, lively Main Streets.

RTR, is Keene's street wider than Fredericksburg, Texas? I find that hard to believe!

Richard, thanks for the Manasquan suggestion - that's not far from where I live (Philadelphia) so I will definitely scout that.

Ellis, I would love to come to Houston for beers. I might even look at the street.

Keep the ideas coming, this is great.

The small Alaska communities might provide something different and interesting. Not too many cars there, but rather four wheelers, snowmobiles, and small planes.

Pottersville, PA, home of Yuengling Brewery, the oldest brewery in America (if you define it by the 50 United States and leave out Canada) is charming and its streets are STEEP. I've always meant to shoot there. Scranton, PA is commercialized with Steamtown (NPS) and a mall but has some really "frozen-in-time" sections. As someone said, Keene, NH and many other such towns in NH and VT are very likely candidates. Flemington, NJ, where the Lyndberg Baby trial occured, has some amazing architecture (Victorian-era) and hasn't been too altered or too kitschified. Many such towns can be found in the Pinelands of southern New Jersey, but it is hard to name them off hand. Let me ponder some more.

I'll just suggest my home town of Petersburg, Alaska. Unfortunately, you can't drive there, but you might enjoy the ferry ride from Seattle... it only takes 4 days.

Petersburg is a small (3500 residents) fishing town that is still relatively untouched by the mass tourism that has engulfed so much of Southeast Alaska. Downtown has the library, the bank, the drug store, and both hardware stores on it... all in 4 blocks. Wrangell, Alaska, is another similar town with even fewer people. It's the ferry stop before you hit Petersburg.

If you want me to put you in touch with someone, just ask.

Nathaniel

Richard M. Coda

Sandy:

You're welcome. If you go to Manasquan, you might want to wait until after Labor Day when all the tourists go home. Drop me an email if you go.

Rich
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

St. Francesville, LA is a nice small town in the South. It is 30 miles north of Baton Rouge. There is an old "Motor Court" out of the 1930's that I always expect to see Bonnie & Cyde when I pass. There is another small town named Donaldsonville about 30 miles south of Baton Rouge with some very nice older building facades. A lot of the smaller towns around the Lafayette, LA area deserve consideration. Happy shooting. Pat.

I have to vote for Iowa too. When I did the RAGBRAI bike ride across Iowa we not only rode through small towns but frequently stopped for lunch and overnight at county seats. The county and town municipal buildings were classics! We also rode through the covered bridge of "Madison County". Email me if you want the names of the towns. George

Just noticed the recommendation of Chagrin Falls, OH. I am at this very moment within 20 minutes of Chagrin Falls, and, high school football rivalries aside, I can recommend it wholeheartedly as a very visually pleasing place. I find it particularly nice in the winter. Small world, though, regarding Northampton, MA. I lived there and in the neighboring town of Williamsburg for 12 years. Now I live here in OH right next to Chagrin Falls.....

Goldfield, Nevada. Not the highway but the old main street that crosses the highway. Across the street from the Goldfield Hotel is an old Ford dealership with a gas pump from around 1932 still bolted to the ground. The proprietors (junk shop now) will happily put the original Chevron globe on top which was only brought in for safety in about 1984. Name recognition plus++. And of course if you do get out in this country I'd love to shoot with you!