Page 930 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 43083088092092892993093193294098010301430 ... LastLast
Results 9,291 to 9,300 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

2 Bit Hack

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    Shiprock from a couple weeks back. There is a pretty good track that crosses the South Dike up near the rock. Once you drive up, the road crosses and there is a track going over and West. Nice spot for afternoon light. Big enough to park and turn around. (I've slept up there in a car, though in general, sleeping on the South side can get sporty.) Scrambled out along the dike away from the rock. The shadow swings South in the Summer, (and North in the Winter). This was past the solstice by 40 days or so. Nice spot just past a fin where I could set up the camera on top. 120mm I think. This is an iphone copy of a straight contact proof. Can't wait to give it a real shake in the enlarger.
    Robert, this is one of those places on my bucket list. I had no idea there was a road going up into the mountain. Would love to see the finished product.
    Regards

Marty

Incredible shot, Robert. Really accentuates the open space nicely.

Jewan
    A puny body weakens the soul.
    Paul Cezanne

Quote Originally Posted by finarphin View Post
    +1
    It's pretty damn telling where the greater perception of what makes a good photograph is headed when after 1.5 million views, 9,300 posts and 931 pages of "Wow, great capture!" the place can't handle one...single....brutally.....honest.....critique.

I guess I just don't understand the whole image sharing thing, especially when "Critiques should only be offered if requested by the original poster."

Stone and I talked on the phone for awhile last night, we are all good. I just can't do the whole internet photography love fest thing anymore...I will go back to not giving the "Image Sharing and Lack of Discussion" section a second look.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I guess I just don't understand the whole image sharing thing, especially when "Critiques should only be offered if requested by the original poster."
    Just because I wear clothes in public doesn't mean I am looking for a critique of my fashion sense.

Jonathan

I can tell you almost the same story. In my case I was in a petrol station near the medieval walls of the city of Avila in Spain, but in this case, I had my Sinar F packed with the right lens and in a few minutes I was able to shot this image. This happened in 1992, since then I tried a lot of times to improve it, of course without success.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avila_walls.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	120648
    Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    Yes, I know what you mean. There is a winding riverside road near where I live. One day, while hauling a load of gravel up that road in my dump truck, the patterns on the road from the trees was incredible. I do not carry a Speed Graphic in the dump truck. Even a SG couldn't deal with that much dust. I've been up and down that road many times since, but the light has never been the same. And I think it's a good life's story.

CedarKey by DevalJoshi, on Flickr

Toyo 45 aII
    Rodenstock Sironar-s 150
    F16 4 second
    Filters:Lee 81B
    Kodak Ektar 100

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    It's pretty damn telling where the greater perception of what makes a good photograph is headed when after 1.5 million views, 9,300 posts and 931 pages of "Wow, great capture!" the place can't handle one...single....brutally.....honest.....critique.

Stone and I talked on the phone for awhile last night, we are all good. I just can't do the whole internet photography love fest thing anymore...I will go back to not giving the "Image Sharing and Lack of Discussion" section a second look.
    Critiques are good. They are a positive experience when someone wants to learn to improve their photography (or anything for that matter). My two cents on the matter are simply this; public critiques are unnecessary, but in a private message, an critique can be helpful. Publicly, it may seem like a thrashing, even if you are well intended. Before internet times, critiques happened, but in the relative private of a small audience of our choosing. Similarly, if you private message someone your critique, it can have the same effect. I'd go one step further, before offering a critique, simply ask if the photographer wants a critique.

PM sent Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dexheimer View Post
    Critiques are good. They are a positive experience when someone wants to learn to improve their photography (or anything for that matter). My two cents on the matter are simply this; public critiques are unnecessary, but in a private message, an critique can be helpful. Publicly, it may seem like a thrashing, even if you are well intended. Before internet times, critiques happened, but in the relative private of a small audience of our choosing. Similarly, if you private message someone your critique, it can have the same effect. I'd go one step further, before offering a critique, simply ask if the photographer wants a critique.

Critiques can be good or bad. Do you want to make pictures that the critic likes? If yes, then it'd be useful to hear his or her opinion. If not....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Critiques can be good or bad. Do you want to make pictures that the critic likes? If yes, then it'd be useful to hear his or her opinion. If not....
    Yeah.....I just want to truly apologize for any sourness this has caused on my part though. Carry on folks, I'll stay out of it...