Page 929 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 42982987991992792892993093193997910291429 ... LastLast
Results 9,281 to 9,290 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    Yep, I wrote him a letter of recommendation to his school and one of the points I hit is that he needs REAL critique which is not at all to be found on a love fest thread like this which does absolutely nothing in terms of helping photo enthusiasts grow in their work. Zip...

I'm a very successful photographer and I *still* get honest trashing critiques of my work from my mentors on a regular basis. Unless accompanied by a big fat check, gushing praise is utterly worthless to keeping the notion of what ***actually*** makes a good photograph intact, that is why I am never really on here, amid the decent to good shots, there is a lot of overreaction to incredibly average if not below average work.

In Stone's case, I really DO want to help him get better because I know he wants to. So I am willing to be the bad guy and say a better grad would not have helped that shot have a stronger voice, the sky was asleep, nothing to darken, you know?

I stand by what I said in paying for his tuition for the workshop above....
    Well I hope you are as honest with all the members (and leaders) at the Death Valley workshop, should they not be using a Grad ND filter...

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Well I hope you are as honest with all the members (and leaders) at the Death Valley workshop, should they not be using a Grad ND filter...
    It's not about the filter on the front of the camera, it is about the filter of the individual on the internet not helping people and photography grow. There is a lot more honesty in a good workshop, I intend to do a lot of listening, not a lot of talking...

Shiprock from a couple weeks back. There is a pretty good track that crosses the South Dike up near the rock. Once you drive up, the road crosses and there is a track going over and West. Nice spot for afternoon light. Big enough to park and turn around. (I've slept up there in a car, though in general, sleeping on the South side can get sporty.) Scrambled out along the dike away from the rock. The shadow swings South in the Summer, (and North in the Winter). This was past the solstice by 40 days or so. Nice spot just past a fin where I could set up the camera on top. 120mm I think. This is an iphone copy of a straight contact proof. Can't wait to give it a real shake in the enlarger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6769.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	120602

Must have shot this five times since I found it in the mid-70s as a child in college. Tough to shoot as I needed to get UP and the ground slopes away. Used to have some brush problems but I have outlived them. 120mm Super Angulon. No filter. Rocknado!

Name:	IMG_6750.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	120603

That's a fascinating structure Robert.

That would be one subject I'd reckon a shorter DOF would do well with, to separate it from the background. It's almost a wash of tones, rather than a structure. Must be really cool to actually see, though.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Fun rock twister! Anything going on any higher that a vertical image can take advantage of (assuming same position and focal length)?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

StoneNYC, the Lee ND grads I use are perhaps 2 oz. each, made of resin. Think about getting the resin filters! The only glass ND square filter I have is a 10-stop Big Stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    Shiprock from a couple weeks back. There is a pretty good track that crosses the South Dike up near the rock. Once you drive up, the road crosses and there is a track going over and West. Nice spot for afternoon light. Big enough to park and turn around. (I've slept up there in a car, though in general, sleeping on the South side can get sporty.) Scrambled out along the dike away from the rock. The shadow swings South in the Summer, (and North in the Winter). This was past the solstice by 40 days or so. Nice spot just past a fin where I could set up the camera on top. 120mm I think. This is an iphone copy of a straight contact proof. Can't wait to give it a real shake in the enlarger.

Robert, this is such a wonderful picture- it really strikes a chord with me. It's a treat to see it on screen, I'm sure the actual image would be incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    That's a rather harsh thrashing of Stone's image, but of course that is just my opinion and not a pronouncement.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    Shiprock from a couple weeks back.

Fantastic image, Robert!
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.