Page 824 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 3247247748148228238248258268348749241324 ... LastLast
Results 8,231 to 8,240 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by OCM View Post
    It's a masterpiece, Jonathan.
    Thank you for saying so. It gave my wife fits to see me standing so close to the edge of the cliff with my tripod and gear, but that vantage point was the only way I could include the rocky beach below in the image--a beach, I should add, full of huge chunks of the cliff face that had fallen off over time. I was 24 when I shot this. I might not take that same risk today.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    So you're saying this is an UNSATISFACTORY image? Wow... You have high standards
    It's a question of the final image, even after all these years, not matching my pre-visualized version of it. The negative is so flat as to be ridiculous. The histogram takes up about 20% of the very middle of the whole graph. The image and framing I'm happy with, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Jonathan, definitely worth working on. Really nice strong composition. This is the kind of image that gives me fits when trying to commit to a silver analogue process. Worth trying to do an enhanced scan, then using PS adjustments to suit. .
    It's been a while since I was in a proper darkroom, but I think this might be nearly impossible to print by traditional means and retain a full complement of tones. I'm not a Photoshop wizard and therefore the final result still lacks punch. This was a close as I could get without it looking completely unnatural and "crunchy." A higher quality scan might help, as would some improved PS skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    The Cliffs of Moher ?
    Yes, indeed.

Jonathan

good work 'mr slabs'

btw are those two individuals about to try out 'the jump'.....?

over here, this is a really popular spot to fly off of (or not.....)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beachy_Head

andrew

Thanks, Andrew. As for the possible jumping, I certainly hope not!

And I need to offer a correction: the photo above must certainly have been made with a 90mm Grandagon, not the 210mm.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    the photo above must certainly have been made with a 90mm Grandagon, not the 210mm.
    Thanks: I was wondering how we can look straight ahead and down at the same time with a 210mm lens on 4x5.

Good catch, Ken.

J.

Nice photo, Jonathan; I see nothing wrong with it.
    But since you mention it...I took your photo and tweaked it.
    Below are the results, one is cropped differently.

Very dramatic, Ari. A good reminder that I can push things farther than I usually do in post. This image might be a good candidate for the "Let Others Make Variations" thread.

I shot this scene on Velvia as well. (Sorry for the repost.) By virtue of being a tad underexposed it is closer in spirit to Ari's B&W interpretation. :

Jonathan

Whenever I hit a creative lull, as now, I tend to go back through old negatives looking for something to work on. This one was shot on our honeymoon in 1992. The negative is terrible; it sat in the holder for over three years after being exposed and was underdeveloped to boot. I have never been able to produce a satisfactory scan. Maybe I'll try intensifying the negative at some point and see what that does.

Jonathan
    Hi Jonathan,

Marvelous shot and composition. I've been doing much the same - going back over old negatives, reprinting and improving them. It's an enjoyable challenge. I posted one recently in urban landscapes post #1888

BTW did you ever use the expired 8x10 film - just wondering how it turned out.

Kind regards,

Dennis
    Last edited by DennisD; 25-Feb-2014 at 20:00. Reason: correct link
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Thanks, Dennis. Seeing my old work reminds me of what I am capable of. It's good to be reminded of that sometimes.

J.

Very dramatic, Ari. A good reminder that I can push things farther than I usually do in post. This image might be a good candidate for the "Let Others Make Variations" thread.

I shot this scene on Velvia as well. (Sorry for the repost.) By virtue of being a tad underexposed it is closer in spirit to Ari's B&W interpretation. :

Jonathan
    Your models have moved!! (Or one of them did) how dare they!

I like both, I suppose it was a question of either the sky being blown out or the rocks being too dark, I suppose it could have been pulled to reduce contrast? but I'm not really familiar with how Velvia handles push/pull. Or even if E-6 behaves the same way with contrast with push/pull. I'm a Newb when it comes to any 'advanced' color work.