Page 62 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364721121625621062 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

CORRECTION:
    I mean "a plain blue sky". A blues sky would be much more interesting

Joe Mace

Lake Umbagog, New Hampshire, viewed from just across the border in Upton, Maine.

4x5 Graflex GV-II, 162mm Optar, f/22, yellow filter, 1/120 sec.
    FP4+, pyrocat-MC 2:2:100, scanned negative

Joe

Great Images everyone...

Another image from this past February, while heading to the southwest corner of the Province...

A young Coyote happened to cross my path on this bitterly and blustery cold day while I set my camera, where it paused for a second to gaze at me and my equipment, and quickly continued with his hastened gait toward the foothills. I do remember that the late afternoon temperature approached minus 40 degrees Celsius with the wind, adding too an unwelcome feeling to my southwesterly jaunt.

jim k

Coyote Path, Clearing February Squall, South South West of Stavely, Alberta, Canada, 2009

Jim,

this image is quite something...

it looks as a quite windy circumstance .

Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew ren; 24-Oct-2009 at 23:00.

here's my first picture contribution everybody.

this was taken at uvas canyon county park in gilroy, ca.
    speed graphic, fuji 90 f8 lens, kodak 160vc.

as soon as i saw it, i thought it should be called "my big toe"

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Coyote Path, Clearing February Squall, South South West of Stavely, Alberta, Canada, 2009
    Forbidding, but also utterly compelling!

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Great Images everyone...

Another image from this past February, while heading to the southwest corner of the Province...

A young Coyote happened to cross my path on this bitterly and blustery cold day while I set my camera, where it paused for a second to gaze at me and my equipment, and quickly continued with his hastened gait toward the foothills. I do remember that the late afternoon temperature approached minus 40 degrees Celsius with the wind, adding too an unwelcome feeling to my southwesterly jaunt.

jim k

Great image, Jim. As usual.

But... minus 40? I really don't know how you do it, I start freezing at 40 F above...

This just adds a whole new quality to your images in my mind.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments...

The weather in south central Alberta can be a mixed bag at the best of times, but there are days when the mountains block any massive northern cold air mass from cruising into the southwestern corner of British Columbia. These Alberta Clippers are redirected by the mountains, where they can be cruel with their large cold air mass and when the wind picks up, you are exposed to a wind chill factors that would spook your mom. The coldest wind chill factors I have ever encountered happened to be minus sixty (60) degrees Celsius a few years ago in a small town called Estevan, located in southeast Saskatchewan, near the American border and the State of North Dakota. I had to let my vehicle run continuously for five days straight to keep the vehicle alive, filling the pickup truck with gas every morning. It was not a healthy exercise for the environment, but it was healthy for my pickup truck.

This image shows a condition that exists periodically along the leeward side of the Canadian Rockies, where a strong westerly flow of warm air occasionally hiccups over the mountains from southwest British Columbia, throwing a wee bit of warm moist air at higher elevations into any large cold Alberta air mass, therefore causing the short lived squalls of snow. The warm British Columbia air mass happens to be visible within the image, where the wave patterns in the upper atmosphere show as stripes along the left side of the image. The stripes are the condensed tops of several warm air mass wave forms entering Alberta from British Columbia.

Living within this area causes you to adjust to the weather conditions quickly, and to be prepared for any incremental inclement weather condition that any northern cold air mass can direct your way. My equipment and I surely change character in a heartbeat...

Again, thank you.

jim k

Great images everyone...

An image from this past September, while hiking within Kananaskis Provincial Park along a ridge at the base of Mount Baldy, where the ridge happens to overlook Barrier Lake's southern entrance and provides a good view of Mount Lorette's leeward side...

jim k

A Quiet Autumn Afternoon, Barrier Lake, Kananaskis Provincial Park, Alberta, Canada, 2009

Richard M. Coda

Nice! Jim K. I don't know what else to say. I'd be happy to hang that on my wall.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"