Page 1600 of 1716 FirstFirst ... 600110015001550159015981599160016011602161016501700 ... LastLast
Results 15,991 to 16,000 of 17155

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

My D850 digital camera shot it at ISO 400, f/11, and 6 minutes. Reciprocity table says at least 4 times of normal exposure time. We exposed the first sheet at 30 minutes just to be safe. But then I guess it is not long enough. So the second sheet was exposed at 60 minutes. And the result is quite nice.

When we arrived at the Tunnel View, it was already long past sunset. We could barely see the shape of the mountains from the ground glass. Thankfully, it was near full moon. So we focused on the moon, and recomposed to take this photo. Not sure if we are the first one to shoot Tunnel View in the evening with a large format camera?

Quote Originally Posted by newtorf View Post
    My D850 digital camera shot it at ISO 400, f/11, and 6 minutes. Reciprocity table says at least 4 times of normal exposure time. We exposed the first sheet at 30 minutes just to be safe. But then I guess it is not long enough. So the second sheet was exposed at 60 minutes. And the result is quite nice.

When we arrived at the Tunnel View, it was already long past sunset. We could barely see the shape of the mountains from the ground glass. Thankfully, it was near full moon. So we focused on the moon, and recomposed to take this photo. Not sure if we are the first one to shoot Tunnel View in the evening with a large format camera?
    Perhaps the first succesful one Compliment for HP5+ too

Intrepid 4x5 camera, Caltar 150mm f/5.6 lens, Ilford HP5 Plus film, f/11, 60 minutes exposure, Tunnel View of Yosemite National Park under full moon light.

Fabulous shot.

The star trails are pretty cool too.

Martin

Gregg that photo gives me the chills - a distant, wrecked metropolis...nestled in its own postapocolyptic haze.

+1 to that Gregg. Wonderful strange tonality with that grass amongst the lava, nailed it perfectly.

Another D23 believer!
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Gregg that photo gives me the chills - a distant, wrecked metropolis...nestled in its own postapocolyptic haze.
    Interestingly, it is sometimes promoted as a "land shaped by fire," in reference to the lava flows, but it has also been the site of a significant wildfire each of the past two summers. Of course they didn't burn in the Devil's Homestead, a natural firebreak!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    +1 to that Gregg. Wonderful strange tonality with that grass amongst the lava, nailed it perfectly.

Another D23 believer!
    Thanks, Joe. I gravitated to D23 mostly because I can mix it quickly as needed - I have a history of going long periods with no developing, although I am hoping that is going to change! I've also seemed to have pretty good luck with roll film using a two-solution D23 recipe I found in an article by this guy Barry Thornton.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Interestingly, it is sometimes promoted as a "land shaped by fire," in reference to the lava flows, but it has also been the site of a significant wildfire each of the past two summers. Of course they didn't burn in the Devil's Homestead, a natural firebreak!
    Great image...as are the ones in your blog.
    Photographing there in the winter, one can retreat to the tubes for a little warmth (and the reverse in the summer!).

Lava Beds is an interesting place to explore...especially in the winter. Not quite my backyard as it is a 300 mile drive (West, then North). It has been too long since I was over there. I have only made a handful or so trips to photograph there starting around the late 80s, including taking my boys out there.

If one wishes to photographically represent a Place, Lava Beds NM is challenging. There is variety; some extremes, but mostly subtle. I have some 16x20 B&W prints from 4x5 around here somewhere. If one can get up and out in the early winter hours, the frost on the landscape is fun to work with. Out of visual habit (my biases formed photographing in dense woods), most of my images tend not to be of the grand landscape. That is...I photograph where my eyes are likely to come to rest. And where I come to rest is often in front of a grand landscape, camera down, and enjoying the subtle changes in the light. Plenty of exceptions, too.

Skull Cave Ceiling
    8x10 carbon print

Pictographs, Lava Beds NM
    Two Type 55 negatives, Silver gelatin print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SkullCaveCarbon.jpg   LavaBedsPictographs.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Intrepid 4x5 camera, Caltar 150mm f/5.6 lens, Ilford HP5 Plus film, f/11, 60 minutes exposure, Tunnel View of Yosemite National Park under full moon light.
    I guess I'm a little late to the party, but this is absolutely stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Great image...as are the ones in your blog.
    Photographing there in the winter, one can retreat to the tubes for a little warmth (and the reverse in the summer!).
    I've certainly taken advantage of the latter!

Lava Beds is an interesting place to explore...especially in the winter. Not quite my backyard as it is a 300 mile drive (West, then North). It has been too long since I was over there. I have only made a handful or so trips to photograph there starting around the late 80s, including taking my boys out there.
    I'll get out there this winter if my wife ever takes a day off from skiing, so that I can use our Subaru! There is some kind of shrub out there that, when dead, looks kind of like an ocotillo in form. There are a bunch of burned ones that would be interesting with some snow on the ground.

If one wishes to photographically represent a Place, Lava Beds NM is challenging. There is variety; some extremes, but mostly subtle. I have some 16x20 B&W prints from 4x5 around here somewhere. If one can get up and out in the early winter hours, the frost on the landscape is fun to work with. Out of visual habit (my biases formed photographing in dense woods), most of my images tend not to be of the grand landscape. That is...I photograph where my eyes are likely to come to rest. And where I come to rest is often in front of a grand landscape, camera down, and enjoying the subtle changes in the light. Plenty of exceptions, too.

Skull Cave Ceiling
    8x10 carbon print

Pictographs, Lava Beds NM
    Two Type 55 negatives, Silver gelatin print
    I haven't seen the petroglyph photos before, but remember the cave roof. Here is an effort at that sort of thing, that falls a bit short. I'll go back and give it another try sometime. I do have one of those pointing the camera down images, but haven't developed that sheet of film yet!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB_cave_roof_final.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	222576