Page 16 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826661165161016 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Nana, you do exquisite work

Quote Originally Posted by Nana Sousa Dias View Post
    Eastman Kodak 2D 8x10, Nikon W 210/5.6, Kodak Tmax 100, yellow filter. Barragem da Marateca, castelo Branco, Portugal.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    The greats have that exact same discussion, believe me. Its part of the creative process. The "am I worthy?" discussion. Speaking as a musician, I can say that good players go through worse forms of that before important gigs. Its your mind playing games, essentially.

What differentiates artists is not whether they have those thoughts, but where they go from there.

JY
    I am a musician, too. What instrument do you play?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Nana, you do exquisite work

Thank You, Kirk.

A couple fresh from the developer. I've finally set down to start developing the negatives that have piled up. The first is aspens from this fall with a red filter on Ilford Delta 100. The second is from last May in the Maze District of Canyonlands on TMX.

I had to dig rather deep in the history to bring this thread back on. And it has taken me even longer to produce a hopefully decent shot to add... I hope the dry spell is over.

Country House

Chamonix 5×8", 5×8" Adox CHS 25, Schneider Xenar 210mm, Rodinal.
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Quarry, Dorset, VT. (The oldest marble quarry in North America, now the swimming hole for the Town of Dorset.)

Dear Jiri,

Well young man, you certainly did dig deep, and you certainly found a beauty too...

Time from your craft, whether it is forced, or whether it is unerring, has a way of making you review your images, your purpose and your artistic intent, so much so, that a pause can enrich every intriguing aspect of your work. Your image is very evident of that effective pause. I do like the way you balance your images, and I do like your image's softer approach, which is reminiscent of another fine image maker within this forum, such as Ken Lee. I do believe that many folks within this forum enjoy your work, such as I do.

My hat is off to you, for bringing your fine work back to the forum...

jim k

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vasina View Post
    I had to dig rather deep in the history to bring this thread back on. And it has taken me even longer to produce a hopefully decent shot to add... I hope the dry spell is over.

Country House

Chamonix 5×8", 5×8" Adox CHS 25, Schneider Xenar 210mm, Rodinal.

Jim,

thanks a lot. I appreciate your comments very much...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Quote Originally Posted by argos33 View Post
    Perhaps he was talking about when scanned and displayed on the forum? But I agree, the final print is where you really see the difference. Compare an 8x10 contact print to a 35mm or medium format enlargement and tell me there is no difference!
    I won't tell you there's NO difference, that's a little extreme. If I examined an 8x10 contact print and an 8x10 from a 6x7 negative (forget 35mm) with a loupe I'd see a difference. But just normal viewing? No, I don't think there's necessarily a meaningful difference between the two at 8x10 print size. However, I think a lot depends on the person making the prints. In my fairly extensive experience with both, it's much easier to make a good 8x10 contact print if you start with a good negative than it is to make a comparably good 8x10 print from a 6x7 negative. But if someone is a good enough printer I think they can make 8x10 prints from the two sources that are basically indistinguishable.

In fact I think one reason why some people think contact prints are so great is because they weren't very good printers when they were enlarging so their contact prints, being easier to do well, look dramatically better to them than their enlargements did. I came up with that thought after seeing an exhibit of Paul Stand's work, some of which was contact printed and some enlarged. The only way I could tell which prints were made which way was by reading the catalog. Which caused me to question the idea that a contact print is inherently and automatically better than an enlargement. Of course I could be entirely wrong too, it's just a thought.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian, you bring up some good points. I think there are many variables in both formats (such as film speed/type, sharpness of taking and enlarging lenses, etc) that might make one noticeably better than the other. A 6x7 negative enlarged from 400 speed film might be noticeably more grainy than the contact print as opposed to the same situation with 100 speed film used in both formats. I recently made some 8x8 inch prints from 6x6 negatives shot on a Hasselblad, and upon showing them to my brother the first thing he asked was "So is this a contact print?"

So overall I agree with you, but I still think there is some textural quality to the contact prints I've made that I can distinguish without a lupe. As far as how much that effects the overall experience of viewing the print, probably not much for most people, but if you have the money for the film and enjoy doing it for yourself why not.

Evan