Page 1327 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 32782712271277131713251326132713281329133713771427 ... LastLast
Results 13,261 to 13,270 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Thanks Pali!

Still trying to get just the right photo from this location but haven't quite gotten it yet. Here's my latest try.

Wehman UL 8x10, Nikkor 120mm f/8, Delta 100, Pyrocat 1:1:100

It's been drizzling non-stop this entire week. I took this in between rain storms - the latest downpour was from that cloud receding in the distance on the left. Realized as I was setting this up that unfortunately I don't have a R25 filter with 77mm size. Need to get that. I also wanted a more distinct sun at the horizon but after this the sun went away behind just a large cloud shelf with no distinct features, so...oh well. But the highlights from the sun popping out on all the wet leaves is what I was interested in here.\
    Last edited by Corran; 19-May-2018 at 08:43.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Wonderful an image

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    Returning to Deception Falls near Stevens Pass for the spring runoff. Rollei infrared film, 150mm lens, scanned from Ilford print.

[IMG]DeceptionFallsN21BLFF by John Olsen, on Flickr[/IMG]
    The composition is great.

Stunning!

Another try. Slowly getting the hang of developing. Now I have to learn how get some detail in the skies.

Fuji cm/w 250/6.3 foma100 lc29
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Another try. Slowly getting the hang of developing. Now I have to learn how get some detail in the skies.

Fuji cm/w 250/6.3 foma100 lc29
    Balancing exposures across the whole image can be difficult, learning exactly where to meter, a friend once suggested that the inside of our camera bags is grey for a reason and makes the perfect thing to take meter readings from. The other thing worth considering would be a set of ND Grad filters, never leave home without them myself.

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Kudos to Jim Fitzgerald for this location and this shot is for you my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlT View Post
    Balancing exposures across the whole image can be difficult, learning exactly where to meter, a friend once suggested that the inside of our camera bags is grey for a reason and makes the perfect thing to take meter readings from. The other thing worth considering would be a set of ND Grad filters, never leave home without them myself.
    Well I used incident metering. But I really should also take a photo with the phone or other, just to compare afterwards. This was a very sunny day and maybe it was just clear blue sky. But as this was taken weeks ago I can't say for sure. On the other hand using an ND grad filter would be sensible.

Would a Yellow or Yellow-green filter be helpful in this case? I do have those around.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

camera FKD 13x18 cm paper unibrom 1986. development with inversion
    Last edited by Sergei; 23-May-2018 at 13:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Well I used incident metering. But I really should also take a photo with the phone or other, just to compare afterwards. This was a very sunny day and maybe it was just clear blue sky. But as this was taken weeks ago I can't say for sure. On the other hand using an ND grad filter would be sensible.

Would a Yellow or Yellow-green filter be helpful in this case? I do have those around.
    A yellow filter would darken the sky, but if there are no clouds, then of course there will be no detail. The shadows indicate a hazy sky, so the blank appearance of the sky is not surprising. Although they can be used effectively, ND gradation filters can cause strange boundary effects when what you are trying to filter is more complex than a seascape horizon. They are more like a last resort for color, and not usually needed for black and white.

If there are clouds, even an orthochromatic film (like Ilford's) will render them to some extent. Burning in during printing can enhance them further. Here is a pair of photos, taken a few minutes apart, with Ilford Ortho Plus with no filter, and Ilford FP4 Plus with a medium yellow filter (K2, or Wratten 8). These are straight prints, cropped from 4 by 5-inch negatives, with no burning-in or dodging. The "O" and "P" in the file names indicate orthochromatic and panchromatic film.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leek_S 2140 Merigliano_M 08102016_O lores.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	178519
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leek_S 2140 Merigliano_M 08102016_P lores.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	178520