Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you transport your LF?

Re: How do you transport your LF?

Lately I have just wrapped the old Crown Graphic in a lenswrap and tossed ten 4x5 holders into a larger Zip-Loc and tossed them into a generic unpadded North Face (but it could be any brand) daypack. The Luna-Pro and loupe ride on top, along with whatever other unrelated to 4x5 stuff I want to bring... I literally do not need anything else, except maybe a pen, b-cards, and model releases.

Get a sturdy camera and you can pack it in anything.

Freedom ;-)

I have a hard-shell Pelican case for my 4x5 kit. It has suit-case style wheels and looks great in an up-town sort of way. Stores in most airline over-heads and can be checked (I never do this).

Mostly, the gear gets packed into a largish , old, 35mm soft case. It slings over my shoulder or sits on my lap.

At times I push around my 8x10 outfit in a large wheeled jogging stroller. It will go anywhere that a wheel chair will go. At other times< I have adapted a golf-bag cart to haul around a large LowePro pack bag. Mobility is about the same as the stroler, but folds up smaller.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

f64 backpack. I use the largest size, which is designed for 8x10, for both 4x5 and 8x10 (when I have an 8x10 system).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Depends on the camera. The 4x5 Speed just gets thrown in a day pack with zip locked film holders, and all other stuff thrown in on top or in the front pocket. The 8x10 Deardorff fits in a Tamrac Cyber6 pack (just) with all the dividers taken out. The pack has a front section for meters and spare lensboard, has a back section made for a laptop but will hold a couple of film holders. Of course, when working out of the truck, I just use my hard sided Deardorff case (it weights 15lbs (7kg) all by itself).

tim in san jose

Confidently Agnostic!

I use a big photo backpack that cost me almost $300 local currency. I really regretted buying it for my SLR system after having it for only a week or two, because it was too big. But it ended up being perfect when I got started in 4x5.

It's a lowepro phototrekker AW II.

It might work for a big monorail like your Sinar. I'm using a Shen Hao field camera.

Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    Hello,

I&#180;m new to this forum, and I like to say hello at first.
    HELLO

My first and biggest question is, how do you transport your 4x5 (and larger) system, to use it in nature, on travel or on any other location?

Do you use a backpack or a case, or may be something different?

Some photos of your stuff in the case/backpack or what ever, would be very interessting for me, to let me find a solution too. <- I&#180;m using a Sinar F2.

Many thanks in advance.

Bes regards
    Mario

multiplex

speed graphic goes in its fiber box
    4x5 rail camera or 5x7 in a tenba 45 car case
    lenses are lens wrapped and in a padded case that came with the tenba.

My Chamonix travels in a LowePro backpack. My AK1, with it's bigger lenses, in a gym bag-sized photo bag, my Korona Woodies in an actual suitcase, hard sided, and my Wista SP travels naked, closed in its metal shell with the 135mm Nikkor W reversed mounted inside, and the film in a separate small bag.

My Ebony 4x5 field camera+3 lenses+QL holder+20 sheets+6x9 RFH+light meter+filters etc all fit in a Lowepro Vertex 300AW. If I want to add the Canon 1Ds3 with a 16-35mm lens, I take the Tamrac Expedition 8.

When I'm just going around town or am going to be close to my car, I use a Lowepro Commercial AW bag. It fits the Sinar F2 folded and wrapped in a darkcloth, with the rail holder, a 6" extension rail, meter, loupe, filters and bag bellows...but that's about it (and the AW is a pretty large bag). I carry 3 lenses, 2 Grafmatic holders and 4 Fidelity holders in another small bag. I have a tripod shoulder strap that I use when I carry the tripod. Everything can get piled onto a folding luggage carrier.

If I'm hiking, I use an REI backpack with an internal frame and abbreviate the amount of stuff I have. The F2 is just toooooo heavy to carry very far.

I just use a Swiss Gear internal frame backback. Nothing super exotic or super expensive. The F64's and most photo backpacks are a ripoff.