Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optar 90 mm design type

Optar 90 mm design type

Hi Everybody,

I just bought a Graflex Optar 90 mm W.A. f/6,8 nš742105N.

What is the contruction type of this lens?

Large format greetings from Sao Paulo,

Wagner

Re: Optar 90 mm design type

4/4 double Gauss.

I'm not up on lens design but what other wides share this design. I have both the 90 and 108 WA Wallensak and assume both share the 4/4 design. Is the WA Dagor similar? Angulon? Seems like Nikon used a similar design for their 24mm RF lens but not certain. Not a wide lens but I believe my 203 7.7 Ektar is a 4/4 design as is the RD Artar.

Don, 4/4 double Gauss types have elements like this: (( (( | )) )), where | is the diaphragm. WF Ektars, the Cooke Ser. VIIb, Meyer Aristostigmat, some Leitmeyr Weitwinkels (Ole Tjugen has one that isn't), f/6.8 Dallmeyer and Ross WAs, ... are of the same type. Understand that all of these differ in the surfaces' curvatures, elements' thicknesses and spacing, and glasses used.

Y'r 203/7.7 Ektar (and my 203/7.7 Kodak Anastigmat) and Artars, Aviars, Celors and Dogmars are all () )( | )( (). There are some 4/4 lenses that are () )( | |) (|, where |) is plano-convex.

The WA Dagor and Angulon are 6/2 lenses. I'd bet that y'r 108 Wolly WA is more complex than any of these.

As far as I can tell, design type needn't have a lot to do with much that's important. For example, the 65/6.8 and 90/6.8 Wolly WAs are 4/4 double Gauss with the same coverage and maximum aperture as the equivalent Angulons and both types shoot equally well. Or, some say, equally badly.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 19-Dec-2008 at 16:16. Reason: afterthought

Thanks for the information. I have and tried already two other 4/4 double Gauss. One is a Wollensak Velostigmat Wide Angle Ser III f 9.5 8x10 6 1/4" Focus. It works very well in 18 x24 cm with enough lens quality for me. The other one is very old stuff: an Omnar from Emil Busch F:4,5 F=25,5 cm. As I use them in very old wood cameras I can't tell what is unshapness and what is camera shake or film x gg positioning.

With this Optar I intend to do snapshots in new years' eve party using some flash bulbs in a 7" reflector in a 4x5 Pacemaker. There might be some vignetting but that may also contribute to the atmosphere.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Wagner Lungov

Wagner, look here http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...lensak_14.html for some Wolly cross-sections. I don't think your f/9.5 is a 4/4, the cross section shows it as an 8/4. To check yours, count reflections from one cell. If 4/4, there will be four strong reflections and no weak ones, if 8/4, four strong and two weak. The weak reflections may be hard to see.

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Dan

Thanks for the information.

Don't forget that most Graflex Optars are OEM'd Wollensaks. They tell me that late Optars were made by Rodenstock, but I don't think I've seen one of those.

Confidently Agnostic!

I just got a 90mm f/6.8 raptar (same as the optar). From what I've done so far with it I'd say it'll be perfect suitable for your application. Sharp enough for me and covers just fine.

Smile Re: Optar 90 mm design type

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    I just got a 90mm f/6.8 raptar (same as the optar). From what I've done so far with it I'd say it'll be perfect suitable for your application. Sharp enough for me and covers just fine.
    I saw a really clean copy of this lens (90mm f6.8 Raptar that is) online for under $200. Does this lens have enough coverage for 5x7 as well? Have you done both color and B&W with it? Would appreciate any feedback you have about the quality of this lens.
    Thanks for your time.