Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plastic bottles for photo chemicals

Re: Plastic bottles for photo chemicals

Quote Originally Posted by robert amsden View Post
    Glass bottles are far better than plastic. Yoo can get used brown bottles up to gallon jugs at your local drug store. And you can look for beer in quart brown bottles, you need to find plastic caps that will fit because metal ones will corrode.
    Sorry, they might be, but plastic is way good enough, no worries about rusting caps, and I've never quite understood why I need brown bottles to keep light out of chemicals that I store in drawers in a darkroom that's, well, dark... Feels like unnecessary expense.

I do like the beer bottle idea, as long as I'm designated to empty them.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

You might try I.B.C. root beer bottles...or any of their soda bottles...they're brown glass. Then I just buy a wine stopper for the top. Cheap and the root beer's great!

Quote Originally Posted by shmoo View Post
    You might try I.B.C. root beer bottles...or any of their soda bottles...they're brown glass. Then I just buy a wine stopper for the top. Cheap and the root beer's great!

Hill and Hill ain't too shabby!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Glass of any color is dangerous when combined with a clumsy oaf and a lot of even safelighted darkness. Coke bottles bounce.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Nicholas O. Lindan

After decades of scrounged bottles I now use narrow-mouth Nalgene - they just seem to work better: the tops spin down nicely, labels come off cleanly, they seem less slippery when wet. They are thick LDPE, not as impermeable as others but seem to keep developer OK for years (if it is made up from boiled distilled water, gently stirred and not shaken).

I buy them on ebay. I wait for salvage case lots to come up for cheap. I've paid as little as $10 or so for a case of 24 1 liter (+ probably $15 shipping). I also bought a case of 60 boxes of Kim Wipes - fell of a truck, corner dented - for small change. There is a lot of junk available from the salvage companies that will find use in the darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by shmoo View Post

Whole Foods sells Virgil's Root Beer in 500ml brown glass bottles with a stopper and clasp like an old mason jar. Seals tight enough to keep the CO2 in. Granted, they're $5 each, but it's really good root beer (burp!)

I also buy their store brand mineral water... $1.39 gets you a 1L glass bottle, and it's better for you than the root beer.

Talking Re: Plastic bottles for photo chemicals

Quote Originally Posted by c-mo View Post
    Whole Foods sells Virgil's Root Beer in 500ml brown glass bottles with a stopper and clasp like an old mason jar. Seals tight enough to keep the CO2 in. Granted, they're $5 each, but it's really good root beer (burp!)

I also buy their store brand mineral water... $1.39 gets you a 1L glass bottle, and it's better for you than the root beer.
    I'm a root beer junkie...so I'll look for Virgil's. The downside is that it's a lot of sugar, so I usually drink the IBC diet root beer...really tasty for a diet drink!

...has this become a root beer thread?