Page 454 of 1724 FirstFirst ... 3544044444524534544554564645045549541454 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,540 of 17233

Thread: safe haven for tiny formats

Re: safe haven for tiny formats

Weltenburger Enge, Bavaria, Germany
    River Danube making it's way to the sea...
    Shot with Mamiya 645, lith print on Efke Varycon.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Don't worry Rick, loosing your Magenta perception is only the first warning sign of Perioccular Schsimagentoiditis. You can have a nice couple more years as a fine B&W photographer before the raspberries bloom out of your sockets.

Andreios, great photo!

Not hurricane related.

Nikon F3, Ektachrome

Jonathan

Nice silhouettes Jonathan

Here's a quick little portrait I developed today of my girlfriend. She had this colorful sweater on and a nicely contrasting scarf, and since I had my new favorite camera with me, a pocket-sized Bessa RF 6x9, I snapped a photo. I shot it at f/8, 1/200, overexposing a little according to the classic sunny/16 rule. Developed in my darkroom using a new water pump/heater and Tetenal C-41 chems. I love this camera because it can fit in any pocket folded up and is easy enough to handhold even at relatively low shutter speeds when I need them. And it's a beauty too! Oh, and how's this for sharp? Not bad for camera almost 70 years old.

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

So I didn't mean to make a big hullabaloo over the Ektar photos posted earlier. I was just making an observation. But as we all know negative film is whatever you want it to be it seems so I decided yesterday morning to put my money where my mouth was and shoot a roll.

I developed it myself which means it's pretty much invalid as a test for serious users (this makes the 3rd roll of C-41 I've ever developed, though I've done numerous 4x5 sheets) but regardless, here's a shot I just scanned. I'm really liking the film, but, it definitely wants to be shot during golden hour and not before dawn, at least in my tests. Before the nice light the couple of shots I tried really sucked and were hellaciously blue. Anyway, I'll shut up now. You can make whatever observations you like in terms of color rendition. This is a straight scan at normal white balance. Mamiya 645, 80mm f/1.9 wide-open:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I do see the magenta shadows now on a different monitor than I was on last night. It's really obvious on this monitor on the Bigelow Point shots.
    I was thinking about raspberries, but not those blooming out of my eye sockets, heh.

I normally do not include a color profile in the files I post on the Internet, simply because that until VERY recently, few viewing the image would be able to gain benefit from it. Even now, IE does not do color matching well at all. Discussions of "should" and "should not" are perhaps based on assumptions about the control we do or don't have over those who view our images. But maybe the time has come to start doing so, with Chrome and Firefox newest versions having reasonable color management, even though most real people only upgrade their browsers occasionally. And even if their browsers are color-managed, they have turned the brightness and contrast settings on their monitors to the Peter Lik settings because they apparently want to tan themselves as they work. And the use of wide-gamut LED monitors causes those images to map to a wider gamut (just like "assigning" rather than "converting" the color space in Photoshop). That has made the problem much worse. I look at many of the scans I posted years ago, and over the years their saturation has increased to annoying levels. Looks like I have a job ahead of me to go back and correct all those images and include profiles, in the hopes of getting a bit closer on modern wide-gamut monitors.

But if my calibrated and profiled monitor is not seeing red correctly, then it doesn't matter whether there is a connected profile. But that is a conversation for another thread.

All I can say is that these pictures did not show the magenta shadows on my calibrated display when viewing them using the "Save for Web" dialog. I do convert them to sRGB as part of that process.

Rick "looking into profiling systems, again" Denney

In the Corn, Sauvie Island

Holgarama. The left and right paths are in reality perpendicular to the center path (they are the same path photographed in opposite directions). Imagine a lower case 't' shape. Oh, never mind, it doesn't really matter. Confusion is the point.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/

In the Corn, Sauvie Island

http://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/

Color or B&W?