Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old lenses, and new shutters?

Re: Old lenses, and new shutters?

Wow, thanx for the swift help guys. Do you know any stores, with a webpage, that specialize in old large format lenses, or at least stock them? There is always the 'Bay ofcourse, where someone with a store called "igorcamera", among others, seem to stock a selection of old lenses. Has anyone dealt with this person/store? But I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra if it came from a regular store. I'm thinking of getting a cheap body, maybe a Shenhao or Taschihara, and then a great, ooold lens. Maybe I've been stung by the Sally Mann bug (without the wetplate collodion process, though). Saw a collection of her work on display, here in Copenhagen, that simply blew me away (and keeps doing so, in retrospect).

Igor gets good reviews on most forums. I would shop in the for sale area right here. Good lenses from good folks at fair prices. Also shop KEH online. I don't know how they handle foreign sales. ebay is a gamble. Roll the dice. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you don't.

Shop here first. I know the two cameras you mention come up for sale here often. Mounting old lenses on one of them may be a different story. It's hard to beat a Speed Graphic with a working focal plane shutter for versatility with barrel lenses.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by hnaa View Post
    Wow, thanx for the swift help guys. Do you know any stores, with a webpage, that specialize in old large format lenses, or at least stock them? There is always the 'Bay ofcourse, where someone with a store called "igorcamera", among others, seem to stock a selection of old lenses. Has anyone dealt with this person/store? But I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra if it came from a regular store. I'm thinking of getting a cheap body, maybe a Shenhao or Taschihara, and then a great, ooold lens. Maybe I've been stung by the Sally Mann bug (without the wetplate collodion process, though). Saw a collection of her work on display, here in Copenhagen, that simply blew me away (and keeps doing so, in retrospect).

Can you describe the effect you are looking for? Many old lenses are indistinguishable from their new counterparts in most pictures. I seem to always have a few around. What format will you be shooting?

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/

Really informative website, and sometimes has a few lenses for sale. Click on the Information link, and you can find many old brochures.

http://www.lensandrepro.com/USED/used-lgf.htm

Scroll way down on this list, and you can find a few old lenses, though many are somewhat high priced. They change inventory often.

Also, as others have noted, this forum is a good resource for finding old lenses. Be patient, do some research, and you might find something interesting to try out.

On EBAY, do a search for an old Tessar, if you want a bargain old lens. There are many of these only in barrel mount, that are quite nice. Try to get a flange with any old lens, and it will make mounting the lens much easier.

KEH and MPEX rarely have old lenses, but they do have good deals on lens boards. You will need one in order to mount a lens onto whatever camera you get. Be aware that some old lenses are too big to fit on a Technika lens board.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography