Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: filters for fall foilage in b/w

Cool filters for fall foilage in b/w

a scene I have worked on for two years now has a tree with fall foilage in front of a lake with pine trees across the lake. So the subject is yellow to orange foillage dark tree bark, with water and very green background.

It looks decent without any b/w filters, but I thought one of the guys might have some suggestions about how to separate the various colors. Oh, the sky is not a large part of the image, but maybe 25percent.

Don't have a clue of the effect of say a green filter on the orange/yellow foilage.

Re: filters for fall foilage in b/w

Check out St. Ansel's article on shooting his Aspins ("60 Examples").
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Yellow, orange and red filters will lighten the foliage.

A green filter will raise the contrast of the overall scene. Won't hurt your foliage images.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

try ortho film
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I second Walter. The main problem is most of your objects will have the same reflectiveness, if thats a word. But the result is they all will be rendered at around the same shade of grey, quite dull. A green filter will seperate all your colors and create a more natural look in b&w.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Check out St. Ansel's article on shooting his Aspins ("60 Examples").
    The book was formerly titled "40 Examples". St. Ansel must have arose and added a score more.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    The book was formerly titled "40 Examples". St. Ansel must have arose and added a score more.

Don Bryant
    Sorry.... Actually in "40 Examples" he describes photographing his aspEns.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Wouldn't the green filter tend to increase the separation between orange and yellow tonalities? My reasoning is green = blue + yellow so the yellow attenuation is low; orange is yellow + red so green would attenuate the magenta component.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    Wouldn't the green filter tend to increase the separation between orange and yellow tonalities? My reasoning is green = blue + yellow so the yellow attenuation is low; orange is yellow + red so green would attenuate the magenta component.
    What we perceive as "green" is not blue+yellow, but merely anything which tickles the wideband blue and yellow sensitive receptors of the human eye, regardless of whether it is a mix of blue and yellow or narrowband true green. That is, narrow bandpassing green filters (such as used for technical applications) may block out blue and/or yellow - and a wide bandpassing green (at any rate perceived as such by a species with trichroic vision) filter must not neccessarily have a significant border between the bands of yellow and orange present in some particular foliage.

Sevo

I suppose our perception is less important than the spectral response of the panchromatic film being used, but in any case for the application in question, "the effect of say a green filter on the orange/yellow foilage" do you not think the green filter (didn't mention which one, let's say a light green) would tend to increase the tonal separation between the yellow and orange leaves? I'm basing my reasoning strictly on the magenta attenuation of the green filter just as a yellow filter attenuates the blue in the sky.

Jim