Page 28 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: post "in Galli style"

Re: post "in Galli style"

thanks eddie.. my petzval lens doesn't look good with too much movement. getting a vignette in one corner. maybe its my setup.

My second try

I need to get the proper focusing in the center plus the awesome swirl with my magic lantern lens but i'm not sure how.

tender,

i was not using a petzval lens.....but i was using pretzel movements...

there are many threads on petzval lenses and swirls. you need a more busy background to easily see the swirl. it is there in your photo....but it is more difficultto see as the background has not many highlights.

keep shooting.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

LJ Segil

Shot with a meniscus lens of unknown heritage, obtained from our great benefactor Galli himself, unknown focal length or aperture, shot with an early Anniversary Speed Graphic, Polaroid 55 negative stored in a dustbin this past year following development as a substitute for more conventional darkroom toning techniques. "Selenium? We don't need no stinkin' Selenium." Little question but that what the pictures lacks in swirl it makes up for in lack of any technique whatsoever.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by ljsegil View Post
    Shot with a meniscus lens of unknown heritage....stored in a dustbin....Little question but that what the pictures lacks in swirl it makes up for in lack of any technique whatsoever.
    Larry
    Sounds like you're getting the hang of galli technique..

LJ Segil

Another from the same dustbin, forgot I was using it to store negatives this past year. Some small Petzval (don't blame the lens, perhaps the same unknown focal length and aperture as the above meniscus), Polaroid type 55, toned in the trash atop my desk and only revealed by the advent of the new Photoshop machine (which forced a clearing of the piles (on the desk, not mine) revealing not lost gold, but some little artifacts of acetate and silver). Presented for the amusement of those who can perhaps enjoy the results of the misuse of optics by others.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    tender,

i was not using a petzval lens.....but i was using pretzel movements...

there are many threads on petzval lenses and swirls. you need a more busy background to easily see the swirl. it is there in your photo....but it is more difficultto see as the background has not many highlights.

keep shooting.
    now i get it! thanks eddie! but what kind of lens did you use on those two photos with your pretzel like movements. i supposd i need a big coverage lens for that. hope to see more photos from you and jim and the other guys here. very very inspiring!!! more galli style guys!

tender. i used a 240mm lens that covers 8x10. this allows me to really manipulate the movements. i shot it at f8....just a bit down from wide open.

love your VDB BTW.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

LJ Segil

Just to prove that in the wrong hands a lens that is supposed to be sharp can produce an image that resembles something Jim might have tried to do on purpose. The culprit optic is the 210mm Goerz Doppel Anastigmat Series III f/6.8, the somewhat antiquated Dagor precursor, one end aimed at a Wisconsin lake shore (Big Spider Lake in Hayward for those seeking a wonderful idyllic summer retreat), the other end pointed at a sheet of Efke 25, metered at ISO 16 (using the concept of metering loosely here) and held lovingly in the back end of a Wehman 8x10 camera, shot taken at f/16 for 1/4 sec. I fear Ansel would not be impressed (nor any of you either, but what the h...). Critiques welcome, I have a thick skin (fortunately).
    Larry

This is just a quick proof print of an 8x10 shot at the Jim's Tonopah workshop of a bush in the sand dunes. The lens was a home made 500mm meniscus. I think it deserves further consideration in the darkroom. The scan is lousy.

Whoops. There is an image to go with that somewhere.