Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 lens help for a newbie!

8x10 lens help for a newbie!

Hey everyone, I'm a complete newbie to large format (well, I used one a couple of times 5 years ago, haha). I've recently come into a nice 8x10 Orbit (which, through my research, I believe is made by Calumet?)

Anyway, I'm in need of a lens and shutter and I have no idea where to start. I generally take portraits/landscape, with very little to no studio work (which I realize may be crazy with such a heavy camera, but I'm young, if not now, when?) I'm just looking for a normal lens...no wide-format, no telephoto.

Any recommendations? I could really use your help!

Re: 8x10 lens help for a newbie!

You can't get to the classifieds as you're brand new but there are 2 chaps there who have Kodak 14" Commercial Ektar lenses for sale. You probably couldn't find a more forgiving and satisfying lens to tackle 8X10 with. A favorite of mine are most of the Schneider G-Claron's. 210 240 270 and 305mm all cover the format. There's several on Ebay this week.

Well, there are plenty of good older lenses to be had that would likely suit your needs:

14" Kodak Commercial Ektar ( my sentimental favorite)
    12" Wollensak Velostigmat (a classic, undervalued)
    Wollensak Triple Convertable 1A (3 focal lengths for the price of one, undervalued)
    375mm Ilex Paragon (another "standard")
    Schneider Symmar double convertable (both normal and long for the price of one)
    12" Goerz Dagor (the "standard")
    16-1/2" Goerz APO Artar (normal/longish, probably worth every penny)

I'd consider any of these lenses a good place to start.
    Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The "standard" focal length of lenses for a particular format is equal to the length of the diagonal of the film. For 8x10 this is about 12" (300mm).
    For portraits you'll probably want something a little longer, say 14".
    There are lots of these old lenses out there looking for a home. I'd say that any lens made after WW2 will probably be satisfactory (presuming that the glass is clean), and the real question mark is the condition of the shuitter.
    I'd recommend that you get your first lens from an established dealer in used LF lenses, such as Midwest Camera.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Jenni,

Depending on where you live, there may be fellow LFers nearby that can help you get a feel for what lens would work best.

Don Nelson

For your first lens, find a good copal-shuttered lens (or a good working Ilex shutter lens). Avoid compounds and barrel lenses until you get some experience. A misfiring compound will cause you no end of frustration as you learn.

I'd look for a good 210 or 240 for a landscape lens, followed by a 450 Nikor or 19 inch red dot artar or the ultra tiny Fuji 450C for portraits for a little longer landscape. Wait a bit to find a "normal" at 300. Find a good 12 inch late model Dagor if you can, or good used modern copal shutter 300. Those 360's tend to be a little heavy.

Pick up some good used fidelity (elite or other). Avoid the woodies for now.

Find a good used spot meter, unless you like incident meters.
    I've always liked the minolta F meters. No need for one of those old Zone-VI corrected spotmeters. Most people finally figured out they weren't really as good as the salesman said.

Next a good loupe 4x to 6x.

Good luck and welcome to 8x10.

Thanks everybody for the advice! You've all been very helpful. Right now I'm looking into some Kodak Ektar's and the Schneider G-Claron's as well.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Even if you're young and stron, look closely at the weight of some of these lenses: I have both a 360mm f:5.6 Symmar (convertible) and a 355mm f:9 G-Claron (in Compound #3). The weight difference is dramatic - the Symmar weighs as much as my 8x10" camera!

Jenks, Oklahoma and Domazan, Gard, France

Hi Jennie,

Here's a nice "light-weight" lens for you. A Wollensak Veritar 14 inch lens with Alphax shutter for 8X10 work. The Ikoflex next to it will give you an idea of its size.

Tom Thomas

Smile Re: 8x10 lens help for a newbie!

No one has mentioned the Fujinon-C 300 mm which Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange will most likely have in stock. It is a nice standard length, modern lens and was my first lens for 8x10.