Thread: Ebony Handheld Loupe

Michael Alpert

Ebony Handheld Loupe

I don't think I have ever started a thread before where I have recommended a product. Recently, I purchased a second-hand Ebony handheld loupe, thinking that I should give it a try. From Ebony's website (which pictures the loupe without any detailed written description), I thought it was a somewhat expensive magnifying glass; so I always dismissed it. The loupe is actually a very solidly made two-element lens that is far brighter and simpler to use than any other loupe that I have used before. The outer edge of the loupe is textured and rubberized to make it more graspable, and it comes with a little case and neck strap that are also well-made and practical. If you are looking for a way to make life under your darkcloth easier, this is it.

Re: Ebony Handheld Loupe

I have had one for about three years and love it as well!

It is a cool product - the ability to look through the corners at an angle towards the aperture is very handy - normal GG loupes in solid tubes negate this. I use one together with a Silvestri 6x tilting loupe. The Silvestri's higher magnification is very handy for final checking.

I have recently purchased the ebony AW cover and the clip that mounts to the front standard. I bought three hots shoots from ebony to mount on my three cameras which are not ebony. It is the first rain cover that I have tried that really works. The workmanship of the cover and clip is amazing. I also just saw and held an ebony 4x5 and was blown away at the workmanship of the camera. My hope is to purchase an ebony 8x10 in a few years. I do not think I will be disappointed.

Michael, can you use the loupe with reading glasses?

I've been using one of the Ebony loupes as well, and I'm very happy with it. It's very sharp, and very easy to use.

I don't use reading glasses, but I think it ought to work fine... if you can use a magnifying glass, you can use this loupe.