Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: g-clarons for 8x10

Re: g-clarons for 8x10

Either one. Both will do you proud. 240mm should be a wee bit wider while 270 should be a bit more generous in movements. As a practical matter, I use a 240 and have never run out of coverage when shooting landscapes.

You're fortunate to have both!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Depends on your taste in field of view and rendering of foreground/background spatial relationships.

Like Jim, I love 270 on 8x10. My favorite focal length for 4x5 is 135, so that won't be a huge surprise. There are few 270s to choose from that will cover 8x10; the G-Claron has the added benefit of being so compact and lightweight.

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    As a practical matter, I use a 240 and have never run out of coverage when shooting landscapes.
    Agreed. I've shot the 240 on 8x10 with two filters stacked up, still has room to move
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Personally, I do not think the 240 G Claron has enough coverage for use on an 8x10.

In the end, however, like most issues beaten to death here, the only way you are going to find out what you like is to "waste" some of that high priced film by trying it out. When you do, worry about what is important to you and satisfy yourself.

I have a 240 and 305 G-Claron, I tend to prefer the 240 for most of the street level shots I'm doing... and it can run out of room with my shifts. the 305 is my lens when I have to shoot across a street or a parking lot or whatever

Shoot with multi-grade paper to save some money, get a hang for the angle of view and "look" and then burn, baby, burn that film. It's great to hold that sheet up to the light after it's developed... nothing quite like it. (I know some of you ULF-ers will disagree, and you're probably right )

Ilford MG, yellow filter, f/8 at 1 sec in broad daylight...YMMV

How tight is movement w the 210 on 810?

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Enough movement for most landscape work...probably would run into problems with serious architectural work. I haven't found it has limited my work yet. I have a 159mm that is a challenge to use on my Zone VI 8x10 -- too much bellows to scrunch up.

Vaughn

If you're wondering about this only from the standpoint of the two different focal lengths and not from other differences between the two lenses, I don't think the 30mm difference in the 8x10 format is enough to worry about. But if I had to choose only on the basis of focal length, I'd go with the 240 on the theory that I could always crop a print from a 240mm lens down to the equivalent angle of view of a 270 but I couldn't add back something that was missing from the 270.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Hi everyone;
    I think you all answered the question for me. Not withstanding trying both lenses, I will use the 240mm on my 8x10, and save the 270 for my 4x5. Sounds (and looks) like a few people like the 240 size in 8x10.

I have two 210s for my smaller camera, so the jump form 210 to 270 is a lot better too than to 240.

As for a longer focal length, on the back burner I have a 14" (about 355mm ) Brown process lens, but no shutter. The long term plan is a packard shutter. I know exactly the process camera it came off, and i know it is a good lens, although I haven't heard much of any other Brown lenses.

I thought i might finally get to use that ole 600mm Apo-ronar I have, but you know, it looks physically too big for my 8x10, if you can believe that. Maybe someday.

Thanks much for all the ideas. Now does anybody have developing times for FP4, 8x10, in a Jobo tank, with HC-110?
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    With the G Claron line the more you stop down the more the usable coverage. So how "tight" it is depends on the aperture you're using. FWIW, I used a 210 on 8x10 and never ran out of coverage for landscape and exterior architecture as long as I stopped down to f22 or smaller, as I usually did.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.