Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jobo 2521 or ...

UPDATE and some questions

Back is the original poster :-)

so - in the mean time I used the Jobo 2521 tank with 2509n reel - either with 4 or 6 sheets - always fine. Recently I got the jobo manual roller base, but as the tank is rather short (as is my other jobo 1520) it dos not really fit well.

I have no problem to load the 2509n reel. Although I do have the loading "black plastic pieces" I did not manage to figure out how to use them. But even without them I have no problem to load the reel. At the same time I improved the temperature control (simply keeping the fluids in a water bath) and if I finally make a few test sheets I may after 3 years reach an acceptable level of consistency for the first time (oh well).

Now - while I like the results, to keep the drums rolling by hand is not very convenient as (contrary to inversion agitation) one has no time to prepare subsequent solutions etc.

So - I am thinking of getting SOME motor base and if necessary a different (longer, larger, probably the 2551 as the 30XX are pricey and complicated to open) drum, as it would be handy to be able to develop more than 6 sheets at a time. But the question is: WHICH motor base and WHERE to find it? (preferably in Europe)? I check the eBay here and then but did not get lucky yet.
    Matus

Re: Jobo 2521 or ...

I use the 2521 tank with the 2509n reel on a CPE2 processor base.

The black plastic "guides" are actually meant to help distribute the chemicals while the drum is rotating and also to stop the film sliding out of the grooves in the reel.

Look at the reel and you'll see a small plastic pin (about 2mm) protruding from both the top and bottom half of the reel for each side of the reel (4 in total) and when you look at the plastic "guides" you'll see V shaped notches in the end plates.

Once the film is loaded (emulsion in) you place the plastic guides in such a way that the pins click over the V notches in the guides and effectively stop the film ends from popping out.

I had uneven development before i figured out how to use the reels properly.

Mike

Re: UPDATE and some questions

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    . But the question is: WHICH motor base and WHERE to find it? (preferably in Europe)? I check the eBay here and then but did not get lucky yet.
    The normal answer is the Uniroller 351 or the Beseler. But in Europe? No idea but if you find two send me one

You'll need the 2551/2561/2581 with the base Either that or look for the 2560 extension. The 2521 is too short for the base.

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

Re: Jobo 2521 or ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    The 2521 tank is/was designed for rotary processing, therefore the chemical usage was minimal, 270ml (I use 300ml).

The tank does work quite well for inversion processing, but does use a lot of chemicals. I think the reason for this is that the sheets are quite far apart to allow for chemicals to pass by the film freely, so the tank is a bigger (wider) tank than most other 4x5 sheet film tanks I have seen.

My own usage of this tank on a CPE2 is that it works best with only 4 sheets. I have used 6 sheets, but I had processing errors. Using 6 sheets of film, is the only time I have had processing errors with this drum. Remember though, this is rotary processing.

The drum can be used with inversion and works well. I have used mine for inversion, but that was about 18 or more years ago, so I'm a tad off with chemistry levels, but it is over 1,000ml possibly 1.2l or close to that. With inversion I don't see any problems with loading 6 sheets onto the reel.

There is a sheet film loader which certainly makes life easier and more importantly, keeps hot sweaty fingers off your emulsion. The sheet film holder takes three film guides, one of which is for 4x5 film.

Jobo did make a sheet film kit for 4 (or six) 4x5 sheet films, it was called, "Sheet film Kit 4341" for 4 sheet films 4x5"

1 tank item No. 2521
    1 reel 4x5" Item No. 2509
    1 sheet film loader Item No. 2508
    1 film guide Item No. 2512 (this is the 4x5 guide)

The other sheet film guides that the loader will load onto the 2509 reels are called:-

6x9cm Item No. 2510
    9x12cm Item No. 2511

The print drum system 2800 is the same set of drums, the only major difference is the sticker on the outside. The 2820 test drum is actually the 2521 tank.

You may find a print drum which comes apart called the 2840, this is designed to do a print of 30x40cm. However if you pull the bottom part off, you once again have the 2521 tank.

As it appears you have some Jobo processing stuff, you may be interested to know that the centre core for the 4x5 drum 2521, is the same centre core as that used in the 1520 film drum.

So if you already have a 2 reel centre core for the 1520, this is handy.

Whilst the 2509 reel does come virtually right to the lip of the 2521 tank, the film is about 8 - 10mm below the lip top as it is inside the reel itself.

I am in the lucky position of having both a cog fitted 2500 top and another top without the cog, so I can do rotary or if (when) my processor dies, I'll just switch to inversion using the same system and the only changes will be more chamicals and more hand work.

Mick.
    2820 testdrum(one can mount 2570 70mm reeel maybe also special combination using parts of 2 reel-sets-its a bit higher) is identical to 2520. 2521 for rotation on processors. 500ml used on cpa2- 70mm/220 lenght here 172cm.
    www.stereopan.org
    3DStereo-Aeropanorama-Jungfraujoch